Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Are there any colleges where men do as well as women?

2»

Replies to: Are there any colleges where men do as well as women?

• interesteddadinteresteddad Registered User Posts: 24,177 Senior Member
    Interesting data. Just wondering why there is such a gender gap at Swarthmore? Any ideas?

Because people are looking at a snapshot of too short a period of time -- such as the six year graduation rate for graduates receiving a degree in one year -- 2003.

There is a blip in the Swarthmore data because that particular cohort of students includes the group who was at Swarthmore when they dropped their football program following the 2000 season. To accomodate the existing players, Swarthmore assisted many of them in tranferring to schools where they could continue to play football.

When you are only talking about 175 graduating male seniors a year, transfering a number of them can have a significant impact on grad rates.

You really have to look at graduation rates over a longer period of time and make sure you aren't picking up a one-time aberration.

I noticed this in looking at Af-Am male grad rates at Swarthmore. One year, it was 80%. The next year, it was 100%. One year data is risky for small LACs because just a few students can swing the data year to year.

I do think that Swat's female grad rate is overall slightly higher than for males. I think it has to do with the difficulty of the academic program. It is not easy for a "slacker" to graduate.
  • interesteddadinteresteddad Registered User Posts: 24,177 Senior Member
    Escape:

Transfer outs reduce your graduation rate.
    Transer ins do not increase your graduation rate.
  • ecapeecape Registered User Posts: 1,189 Senior Member
    I know that. I was purely speculating. (As a parent I'm not sure you're aware of this, BUT Swat has a substantial hookup scene. Just a stereotype of course, but boys do tend to prefer a more anonymous social scene in these sorts of situations.)
2»
This discussion has been closed.