Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Math/Sci, but strong drama/film?

ThroganThrogan Registered User Posts: 28 New Member
Hey... I've basically decided I want to major in something Math or Sciencey (Sci = Physics... Bio sucks, and I've gotten chem-ed out after the AP class), however, I don't want to be STUCK in that major. I want a college that's open about trying other random things.

I'm captain of a Speech and Debate team at school, and I love acting, and my PASSION is movies (You have no idea how much I overanalyze all the movies I own). To go to a school where their film club - even if they have one - consists of about 3 people that do their own thing would be dissapointing to say the least.

I'm wondering if anyone can think of any colleges that match what I've described above.

Just to give you an idea, my SAT 1s were 630 CR, 700 Math (very unhappy with those scores, and hope to do better in a week). SAT 2s: Math 2c = 780, Chem = 760; 5 on AP Chem test.

THANKS FOR ANYTHING YOU CAN COME UP WITH!!!!!!!

btw - I live in MA and would like to stick around New England or so, but I'm open to any suggestions.
Post edited by Throgan on

Replies to: Math/Sci, but strong drama/film?

• collegehelpcollegehelp Registered User Posts: 6,590 Senior Member
    Carnegie Mellon
    Cornell
  • Sam LeeSam Lee Registered User Posts: 9,449 Senior Member
    Northwestern
  • johnwesleyjohnwesley - Posts: 4,610 Senior Member
    You live in MA and haven't checked out Wesleyan?
  • ThroganThrogan Registered User Posts: 28 New Member
    The only colleges I've visited are WPI, RPI, UMass Amherst, Clark, and the campus at Union. And that was back in April! I haven't had much time for anything else.

I looked into Wesleyan a bit, but it seems really heavy on the social sciences rather than Engineering or Science. If you think otherwise let me know, but that was just my impression.

Cornell is big, and quite a REACH! but worth a look.

Wow! Carnegie Mellon looks like a happy fit... so long as I actually do better on SATs and stuff... hopefully being in the top 16% of a very competitive and reknowned public HS with a GPA of 3.98 / 5 will help. =D

Northwestern is also something to keep in mind.

Thanks!!!!! =D
  • tkm256tkm256 Registered User Posts: 1,847 Senior Member
    This is kind of off-topic, but that looks like a potentially great essay: the marriage between science and drama. You know, films are all about technology now-a-days. If you want to go into physics or engineering, I'm sure you'd be wanted by film companies everywhere to improve whatever it is they do to make modern movies so darn sharp.
  • collegehelpcollegehelp Registered User Posts: 6,590 Senior Member
    also UCLA, USC, NYU, Syracuse, UC Berkeley, U Michigan Ann Arbor, U Texas Austin, Wesleyan, Yale, Emory, Purdue, Johns Hopkins, Boston College, Harvard, U Minnesota Twin Cities, Dartmouth, Columbia, Ithaca College, U of Rochester, Vassar, Oberlin, U Pittsburg, U Wisconsin Madison
  • johnwesleyjohnwesley - Posts: 4,610 Senior Member
    Wesleyan - Yea, the political activists tend to crowd the social sciences--but, that just means all the more resources for kids like you in the math and science arena. Believe me, Wesleyan has _always_ been tops in the laboratory sciences.
  • ThroganThrogan Registered User Posts: 28 New Member
    Wow, thanks you all!

collegehelp - Investigating all of those (save the ones I KNOW I"m not getting into, i.e. Harvard, Yale, etc.) will take me a few nights! Thank you!

tkm - thanks for the essay idea. My essay is currently about my development on the Speech Team (and ACTING the Two Towers script for my performance last year rather than simply copying the movie (save for the voice)). I'll definitely keep that in mind though. Maybe I'll write that version and see which one my teachers like better! =D

John wesley - You have an awesome point. More for me! =)

I also realized that if I went to a strong performance arts school, that my talent would be overridden by people who were the stars of every school play/musical. Any thoughts on that? Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.