Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Conservative Campuses in the Norhteast

Replies to: Conservative Campuses in the Norhteast

• CreeklandCreekland Registered User Posts: 5,006 Senior Member
    ^I'm not sure I understand the point of this website. Check out Duke. It gets a red light and underneath the little quote says.."not named for David"

My take on those little quips are that they are quick jokes. I love Pepperdine's (Beach Boys for Jesus) though the site itself isn't a Christian site as much as it is a Conservative one. With Duke I suspect they are meaning it's about as opposite as it can get to David Duke's beliefs in a fun sort of way?
  • CreeklandCreekland Registered User Posts: 5,006 Senior Member
    Intellectual liberals are often very tolerant of people with opposing viewpoints. So going to a "liberal" college could just be a good chance to have lively debates. I would not though like to be a liberal going to a heavily conservative college... That would be rough!

In my experience those on either extreme tend to be non-tolerant and I wouldn't want to be a fish out of water - hence avoiding labeled far left for us (actually, we avoid far right too). When one gets people just left and right of center, one can get nice, intelligent discussions.
  • johannes1430johannes1430 Registered User Posts: 299 Junior Member
    Quote:
    Intellectual liberals are often very tolerant of people with opposing viewpoints. So going to a "liberal" college could just be a good chance to have lively debates. I would not though like to be a liberal going to a heavily conservative college... That would be rough!
    A very closed minded view in my opinion: liberals are accepting, conservatives are not. Liberals are therefore superior to conservatives and will listen to their views and tolerate them. How nice.

A correction: As long as the students are reasonably intelligent and there's a general openness, they will listen to and tolerate conservative opinions even if the school is considered liberal.
  • gadadgadad Registered User Posts: 7,772 Senior Member
    I want to major in Math, but I believe that all numbers must be integers and in no case should exceed 1,000. Furthermore, I'll be offended and incensed by anyone who suggests otherwise, so I want to be certain that I'm not exposed to views that conflict with those from my own 18-year-old vantage point. Please recommend some schools with Math departments that will meet my criteria?
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 56,350 Senior Member
    Many, many smart kids are in STEM majors, and STEM majors aren't usually liberals...they are often middle of the road, or a bit left or right of center.
    Any data to support that?
  • hannahbanana94hannahbanana94 Registered User Posts: 410 Member
    My dad is a big Republican, from the schools that his friends send their kids:

Villanova
    Hamilton
    Bucknell
    Colgate

are all pretty conservative, and of the Ivies, Princeton, Dartmouth ,and U Penn.
  • HuntHunt Registered User Posts: 26,917 Senior Member
    The president of Columbia insulted a guest speaker on campus before he even had a chance to speak.
    Do you mean Ahmadinejad? I thought the anti-liberal talking point was that he was invited to speak at all. Or was there also a conservative who was insulted? Or do you mean that Ahmadinejad is a conservative?

To the OP: the honest answer to this question is that you will be comfortable at almost all of the colleges in the Northeast (and elsewhere), unless you are extremely conservative on certain social issues, such as gay rights, abortion, and evolution. There may be a few schools (like Hampshire and Reed) that attract very liberal kids where you might not find enough kindred spirits, but at most other places you'll be fine.
  • barronsbarrons Registered User Posts: 24,875 Senior Member
    If anyone thinks liberals are open to new ideas just try to bring a conservative speaker to a liberal campus. It will be a bloodbath and the speaker will not get though his speech without major disruptions and insults. That is the most untrue thing I have read in some time. At least conservatives tend to be polite.
    Hunt,
    I think they are referring to the former student/soldier who was injured in the middle east who recently came back to speak Wounded Iraq veteran jeered for speaking in Columbia University ROTC debate - NYPOST.com
    I don't think so, jym, because that doesn't say anything about the President of Columbia. The President of Columbia did, however, make a disparaging remark about Ahmadinejad when he came to speak. http://articles.cnn.com/2007-09-24/us/columbia.president_1_iranian-leader-lee-bollinger-mahmoud-ahmadinejad?_s=PM:US
    Oh, I only scanned the post about Columbia. Sorry.
    I still remember my very first time driving a car in Manhattan when I was still in HS. It was the day of the Columbia protest march against the Vietnam War down 5th Ave., possibly part of the May Day protests n 1971 .I forget exactly, but I was scared to death that I'd hit a protester.
    But I digress....
    But that article about the ROTC town hall is useful to answer the OP's question. Clearly, most of the people at that meeting were against returning ROTC to Columbia--but not all of them. A minority of the very liberal students misbehaved and jeered those with whom they disagreed. This can happen, and if you don't want that at all, you shouldn't go to Columbia. But if you are interested in a free-wheeling discussion of politics, you shouldn't go to an extremely conservative school, either. At those schools, you may not hear the liberal point of view at all.
  • geeps20geeps20 - Posts: 3,250 Senior Member
    Some still fall for the "liberal are the tolerant ones"...BS? Tolerant in their little circle until someone disagrees with them maybe..(I miss the politics forum..lol)
    I guess there's a different "sweet spot" for students at different colleges. An extreme social conservative probably wouldn't be happy at Reed, unless he really likes to argue. But an extreme liberal won't be happy at Liberty University--and the school will restrict what organizations he can start on campus.
  • johannes1430johannes1430 Registered User Posts: 299 Junior Member
    ^^As long as people are fairly intelligent, they will tolerate all substantiated political viewpoints. It appears though, that most students at the top colleges lean left of center.. Coincidence? Maybe. Fact? Yes
This discussion has been closed.