Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Conservative Campuses in the Norhteast

Replies to: Conservative Campuses in the Norhteast

• geeps20geeps20 - Posts: 3,250 Senior Member
    ^ sure..then they grow up, get a job and look back how naive they were in college....or they remain in their little bubble.
  • vonlostvonlost Super Moderator Posts: 31,019 Super Moderator
    I was surprised at the policies of one of our schools that caused a yellow "warning" label by FIRE:
    Sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, sexually directed remarks, or other conduct of a sexual nature constitute harassment when such conduct has the purpose or effect of substantially interfering with an individual's academic or work performance or is so pervasive or severe that it creates an intimidating, hostile, or offensive environment. ... Student’s conduct should respect other individuals and the community as a whole, and not cause any unnecessary embarrassment, discomfort, or injury. ... Some examples of prohibited [computer] uses are: ... sending obscene, abusive, harassing, or threatening messages.

I guess some feel that such forms speech should not be limited. To get a green label must a school explicitly allow students to harass each other, or at least not prohibit such?
  • HannaHanna Registered User Posts: 14,838 Senior Member
    How odd -- the school's policy comports with federal employment law. So it's basically imposing the same rules on students that its employees have to follow. That gets a warning?
  • soomoosoomoo Registered User Posts: 443 Member
    @hannahbanana

Republican does not = conservative much these days. And even conservative means very different things to different people.

Although I am not that familiar with some of the schools on your list...I will offer my opinion that although UPenn, Dartmouth and Princeton may be more toward the center than some of the other Ivies, they are overall liberal institutions and someone who is extremely socially conservative may have a difficult time in these places.
  • bigboy4bigboy4 Registered User Posts: 38 Junior Member
    Thanks for all of the help. Your opinions have reassured what I already suspected. I will probably be fine wherever I choose.
  • NervusBreakdownNervusBreakdown Registered User Posts: 849 Member
    If you're not a liberal at 20, you've got no heart. If you're not a conservative at 40, you've got no brain.
  • leanidleanid Registered User Posts: 1,743 Senior Member
    ^^^

Yes, thank you for that. I believe that came from Winston Spencer Churchill.

Really, how hard is it to be liberal when young? -- not very! What do you suppose the ratios are , liberal/conservative, for the young versus for the "old". Hmmm, what happens, do we simpy lose our intelligence as we mature? lol
    Wow, conservatives really sound bad! Maybe they should all be lined up and shot! Oh, wait, they already are -- full of worry-lines and shot to hell! I guess experience doesn't count for much. I really think children should run the world...mmm, how refreshing!
  • CreeklandCreekland Registered User Posts: 5,095 Senior Member
    ^ Didn't they try that in Logan's Run? (Sorry, couldn't resist - or am I dating myself by even mentioning that movie?)
  • ConsolationConsolation Registered User Posts: 22,970 Senior Member
    ^ sure..then they grow up, get a job and look back how naive they were in college....or they remain in their little bubble.

You mean they retain their idealism and generosity of spirit or they sell their souls for money?
    Are those who work their way through college more conservative than those who don't have to?
  • geeps20geeps20 - Posts: 3,250 Senior Member
    Or they grow up to be an intolerant, close-minded person like yourself.

had to make it personal...huh?...I guess you are not one of the tolerant ones.

BTW, you just ripped Consolation who was agreeing with you....lol
  • tk21769tk21769 Registered User Posts: 10,516 Senior Member
    Of the top 25 private national universities and LACs, the conservative ISI (collegeguide.org) gives the green light to only 2 that are located in the Northeast: Princeton and MIT. The other Ivies, JHU, Georgetown, CMU, the NESCAC and Philadelphia-area Quaker colleges ... all get yellow or red.
  • performersmomperformersmom Registered User Posts: 2,116 Senior Member
    Trinity College, Hartford CT
    Connecticut College CT
    moderate/balanced
  • vonlostvonlost Super Moderator Posts: 31,019 Super Moderator
    "the conservative ISI (collegeguide.org)"

So are liberal students meant to exchange the red and green lights? ;)
This discussion has been closed.