Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Quotes And Periods!

2»

Replies to: Quotes And Periods!

• synsyn Registered User Posts: 289 Junior Member
    ". . . similar to two spaces after a period (the grammatically correct way)."

Again, I hate to claim something is wrong just because I've never seen it, but do you have a reference? It seems dubious that something that only applies to electronic media is universally stylistically correct, let alone grammatically correct. From what I understand, the space character on typewriters was too small and made distinguishing printed sentences hard. As the computer came into wider use, and became more advanced, its typesetting took care of character spacing, word spacing etc... automatically, rendering the use of two spaces pointless.

In terms of usage, if you compare anything you've printed with two spaces at the end of a sentence with any book, magazine or other professionally typeset literature, you'll notice that only one space is used. Also, if you look at your own posts in your browser and check how many spaces are between sentences, you'll notice there is only one. All browsers compact consecutive spaces, unless you explicitly use a hard space.

Stylistically, though, you can do whatever you want, but, unless I'm mistaken (which is possible), it isn't a set standard.

Oh, and boredofeducation: You misspelled "parenthetical" ;).
  • boredofeducationboredofeducation Registered User Posts: 138 Junior Member
    LOL - sorry syn! Could you ever forgive me?!?! :)
This discussion has been closed.