Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

I can't choose which path is best for me?

sakura2209sakura2209 Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
edited April 2011 in College Search & Selection
I'm an upcoming graduating senior from Ga, got accepted to UGA, the only school I applied to, and well, now I don't know if I'm ready to go. My first choice was University of Florida or Emory but I didn't apply since I didn't think I could afford the tuition or can't get in. There is a college 5 minutes away from where I live too. I thought it was too low of me to go there, but it's near home and could save me tons of money. Although I have the pell grant and elligible for the zell miller scholarship, which pays full standard tuition for UGA, the fact that I missed the honors deadline and scared of being in a big school is giving me second thoughts. I hope to transfer to Emory after a year, but I'm worried that going to my home college will lower my chances. My counselor says I should stay to figure things out and my parents want me here to help work and be home (not to keen on that). Anyone with experience, please offer advice.
Post edited by sakura2209 on

Replies to: I can't choose which path is best for me?

• happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 27,475 Senior Member
    If you have the grades and ACT/SAT scores to qualify for big merit-based aid, and you want to try for Emory, you probably are better off taking a year off from school, and applying to enter in the fall of 2012. The good scholarship money is usually reserved for incoming freshmen. Transfer students don't usually get good merit-based aid. Try to find out more about aid for transfers at Emory before you commit to enrolling anywhere for this fall. Talk this over with your counselor.

But if you have a decent college close to home that is ready and willing to throw a lot of money at you, there is nothing wrong with choosing that place. Even though you could commute, if a scholarship would include housing, it would be good for you to live on campus even just for a semester so you meet your classmates. Do you like that place well enough to stay for all four years if it is cheap enough? Where do the graduates go when they finish their degrees?
  • gadadgadad Registered User Posts: 7,769 Senior Member
    I would not start the freshman year as an off-campus commuter. It's not the same as living on-campus and being a full-time college student. You have Pell and the ZM scholarship - IMO there's no reason to not take advantage of UGA.
  • poetgrlpoetgrl Registered User Posts: 13,334 Senior Member
    Go to UGA. Take the scholarship and go to school. It's a great opporunity.

I don't know if this is the case at UGA, but most schools offer a process to enter the honors program after admittance, as well. But, even if this is not the case, I wouldn't sweat it.

Also, just a word of advice, you can take or leave, don't go in thinking you will transfer out. Go in to stay in. You will have a better experience, and financial aid is diminished signifiantly for transfers.

Good luck to you. What great good fortune!
This discussion has been closed.