Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
The Forums will be unavailable Tuesday, June 25 starting at 9 am ET as we prepare for a major design update!

Good Undergrad Linguistics

emilylouemilylou Registered User Posts: 24 New Member
edited October 2011 in College Search & Selection
I really want to study Linguistics. Does anyone know which schools have the best undergraduate programs? I have heard great things about the graduate program MIT, but nothing about the undergrad. How is the program at UMass Amerherst?
Post edited by emilylou on

Replies to: Good Undergrad Linguistics

• HatshepsutHatshepsut Registered User Posts: 664 Member
    I don't know about UMASS, but I know Middlebury has a great program.

Sent from my iPhone using CC
  • tk21769tk21769 Registered User Posts: 10,614 Senior Member
    Middlebury has outstanding instruction in a number of modern languages, but does not seem to have much of a Linguistics department. It only offers a minor and there aren't many linguistics courses in its catalog. A few other LACs (like Swarthmore) do offer Linguistics majors, with introductory courses in the major sub-fields (phonetics/phonology, morphology, syntax, semantics.)

For richer offerings, look to major research universities. There are strong programs at most of the Ivies, Stanford, NYU, Chicago, Georgetown, and quite a few state flagships (e.g. Berkeley, UCLA, Maryland, Ohio State, and U Mass Amherst).

The graduate schools form the department reputations. Consider schools with well-regarded graduate programs, then from those, choose according to overall undergraduate strengths and personal fit.
  • PizzagirlPizzagirl Registered User Posts: 40,488 Senior Member
    look at Penn, home of William Labov.
  • csdadcsdad Registered User Posts: 2,289 Senior Member
    My D's firend is in the program at U of Rochester & seems to be impressed with it.
  • NYU2013NYU2013 Registered User Posts: 1,780 Senior Member
    I had a professor of linguistics who did her undergrad at MIT and med school at Harvard, she loved her undergrad at MIT, then again, she took classes from Noam Chomsky.
  • 45 Percenter45 Percenter Registered User Posts: 4,279 Senior Member
    Pizzagirl wrote:
    look at Penn, home of William Labov.
    And also alma mater ( BA, MA, and Ph.D.) of Noam Chomsky. :)
This discussion has been closed.