Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

UC School for Physics! (Possibly Comp. Eng.)

leftywamum0nkeyleftywamum0nkey Registered User Posts: 81 Junior Member
edited October 2011 in College Search & Selection
Hello, I am in the process of researching schools, specifically UC schools based on their physics program. I have been consumed with working on my college application and doing homework and I would like to ask the community for some help to guide me in the right direction.

Here are the schools I am applying for:

UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC Santa Barbara
UC Santa Cruz (Don't know how I feel about UCSC)
UC Riverside
UC Merced

My question is, which of these schools have a well rounded physics program, and could you rank them? Specific information will always be appreciated.

If anyone would be kind enough to talk to me via AIM or IRC, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.
Post edited by leftywamum0nkey on

Replies to: UC School for Physics! (Possibly Comp. Eng.)

• beyphybeyphy Registered User Posts: 2,237 Senior Member
    it would probably look like this:
    tier 1: UC Santa Barbara
    tier 2: UC Davis/UC Irvine
    tier 3: UC Santa Cruz (Don't know how I feel about UCSC)
    tier 4: UC Riverside/UC Merced

UCSB has a highly renowned theoretical physics program IMS. It's ahead of UCLA's, and i believe is only second to Berkeley in the UC system.
  • popsiclespopsicles Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    Thank you two so much!

I have heard that UCSB had a good Physics program, but I never knew what kind and how good. I will start looking at UCSB more, and I do agree that it is a beautiful campus.

If anyone has any personal experiences with any of the schools, whether in physics or any other major, I would be happy to hear it.
  • SlitheyToveSlitheyTove Registered User Posts: 6,348 Senior Member
    Make sure you look at College of Creative Studies, UC Santa Barbara - Physics - Home

Some of the physics departments at your list of schools have a lot of professors and grad students and relatively few undergrads. That can open up a lot of opportunities to get involved early on with a research group.
This discussion has been closed.