right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Colleges near mountains

MRluddiesMRluddies 3 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5 New Member
edited November 2011 in College Search & Selection
I have just started looking at colleges and I want it to be located near mountains to go snowboarding. I would prefer to go to school out west but I'm open to all suggestions. I am from Minnesota and I want to go to a private school that has good academics (average act around 28 to 30). Any suggestions?
edited November 2011
9 replies
Post edited by MRluddies on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Colleges near mountains

• coureurcoureur 11196 replies190 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 11,386 Senior Member
    Univ. of Utah or BYU. They didn't hold the 2002 Winter Olympics in Utah for nothing.
    · Reply · Share
  • floridadad55floridadad55 2192 replies70 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,262 Senior Member
    how about Colorado College?
    · Reply · Share
  • LasMaLasMa 10768 replies138 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 10,906 Senior Member
    When I was in college a million years ago at the University of Washington in Seattle, a lot of students went skiing every winter weekend.
    · Reply · Share
  • tk21769tk21769 10587 replies27 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 10,614 Senior Member
    From more to less selective:

Pomona College
    Claremont McKenna College
    Reed College
    Whitman College, Colorado College
    Lewis & Clark
    Willamette University

These are all small liberal arts colleges, in the USNWR top 75, within ~90-120 miles of ski areas in California, the Pacific Northwest, or Colorado.

I can't think of too many private universities that fit the criteria.
    Stanford is ~3 hrs. from Lake Tahoe skiing, I think; I don't know if there's decent skiing any closer. Then there's BYU, which might be a good choice if you're o.k. with its religious affiliation & atmosphere.
    · Reply · Share
  • lynxinsiderlynxinsider 1268 replies11 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,279 Senior Member
    Liberty University has Snowflex...
    · Reply · Share
  • bopambobopambo 1241 replies56 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,297 Senior Member
    Just an aside, tk21769 mentioned Whitman College. I wanted to point out that while there are fabulous ski areas within 90 -120 miles from campus, there is also Bluewood Ski Resort in the Blue Mountains just an hour from Whitman's campus. Bluewood is a smaller regional ski resort, but it provides plenty of opportunity for Whitties to ski and snowboard.
    There is a regional public bus system that gets skiers to the mountain, as well as the time honored practice of hitching rides with classmates who have cars.
    · Reply · Share
  • bruno14bruno14 2030 replies22 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,052 Senior Member
    Any college in the San Francisco Bay Area will be within 4 hours of awesome skiing (Lake Tahoe), and there tend to be buses that take people there for the weekend. UC Davis is a little closer to the mountains, but it'd be OOS tuition for you.
    · Reply · Share
  • bopambobopambo 1241 replies56 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,297 Senior Member
    Bruno14, is right. Some private colleges in or near the Bay Area are University of San Francisco, Santa Clara University, University of the Pacific, Mills College (if you're female), St. Mary's of California. There are plenty of Oregon Colleges not far from Mt. Hood skiing including Lewis and Clark, Willamette and the University of Portland. Reed is there also but probably a bit too selective. In Washington State check out the University of Puget Sound as well as Whitman (which might be in the reach category). Good luck!
    · Reply · Share
  • qialahqialah 1891 replies8 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,899 Senior Member
    University of British Columbia is two hours from Whistler, and a great (though not private) school.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity