Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
The Forums will be unavailable Tuesday, June 25 starting at 9 am ET as we prepare for a major design update!

Science Schools

ScichemScichem Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
edited November 2011 in College Search & Selection
I'm a current Junior at high school looking to apply to colleges next year. Thanks to my teachers, I have already sold myself on becoming a duel chemistry and physics major. My problem is that I really want to go to a good science school, but the only ones I can think of are high level schools with low acceptance rates (Stanford, MIT, Cal Tech, ect). I need help deciding good science schools for my undergraduate degrees that I have a higher chance of getting into.

I have good grades (My GPA is about 3.9), but nothing mind blowing. My SAT scores are most likely going to be around 2000 with 650-700 in all three areas (I have not taken the SAT yet, but my practice test scores are around this number).

Can anyone give me a hand?
Post edited by Scichem on

Replies to: Science Schools

• lynxinsiderlynxinsider Registered User Posts: 1,279 Senior Member
    A lot of liberal arts colleges will have strong programs in chemistry and physics and your stats would be a match at many of them. What else are you looking for in a college?
  • barronsbarrons Registered User Posts: 24,980 Senior Member
    Many of the better public U's have excellent and well-funded sciences--they actually do the bulk of science research in the US. UCB, UCLA, UCSD, UW, UW, UM, and others.
  • Erin's DadErin's Dad Super Moderator Posts: 36,455 Super Moderator
    How much can your family afford? Many LACs and almost all OOS publics cost more than parents think.
  • ScichemScichem Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    Lynxinsider: I'm looking for a city college, preferably medium size or smaller (Under 8000 undergrads). Thats all I really know right now.

Erin's Dad: I don't know an exact number, but I will probably have to take out a decent loan or get a scholarship.

Barrons: Thanks for the suggestions

Thanks for the input
  • Erin's DadErin's Dad Super Moderator Posts: 36,455 Super Moderator
    Follow Barrons' advice. Look at your instate schools/flagship.
  • par72par72 Registered User Posts: 4,208 Senior Member
    Tufts, Holy Cross, Hopkins.
This discussion has been closed.