Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Merit scholarships, medium size schools, science major

Replies to: Merit scholarships, medium size schools, science major

• Lisam128Lisam128 Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    Am on two computers now checking out the suggestions. Thanks
  • parent56parent56 Registered User Posts: 7,658 Senior Member
    agree with tulane... high stat kids that apply early can get about 1/2 the costs in merit. still leaves about 26K though
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 68,532 Senior Member
    How far away from home can this college be?
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid Posts: 83,284 Forum Champion
    Thumper asks a good question....how far away can/will she go?

My cousin's son just got a $28k scholarship from Santa Clara for stats a little bit (not much) better than your D's.

Tuition is about $40k now (COA about $58k), so that's a $30k difference which might be made up with a student loan and some summer work contribution from your D and your $20k.
  • FooMonChewFooMonChew Registered User Posts: 267 Junior Member
    Look at schools that have a high male population. They sometimes make it easier for a girl to get merit money since they're trying to recruit more females. For example WPI, RPI, and other tech heavy schools.
  • mommusicmommusic Registered User Posts: 8,301 Senior Member
    If you are worried about the sun, I have the perfect school for you. Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland. Cleveland Circle is a vibrant area, Case is great in STEM studies, and they give good merit money to high SAT/ACT scorers

Seriously, between the location in the northern latitude and frequent "lake effect" snow, too much sun is NOT a problem!

:)
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid Posts: 83,284 Forum Champion
    You mention school size....

What about campus life....does your D want a more quiet campus or a more spirited campus?

i know she wants a pretty campus, but must it be in a good-sized city or can it be rural?

Does she have a weather preference? warm? cold/snowy?
  • dadinatordadinator Registered User Posts: 1,439 Senior Member
    Maybe WPI or University of Rochester (give out plenty of merit money); maybe Carnegie Mellon (don't know about merit money there).

Problem here is that most of the top schools don't give out merit money, just need based financial aid.
  • parent56parent56 Registered User Posts: 7,658 Senior Member
    that's why you look for hidden gems dadinator :)
  • WayOutWestMomWayOutWestMom Registered User Posts: 9,216 Senior Member
    University of New Mexico? About 18,000 undergrads, STEM programs are strong --although no marine bio program. Warm weather, but we have do have real winter with cold wind and snow and everything....Skiing within 35 minutes of campus. Very active Women in Science chapter on campus. (D1 graduated from there as physics & math major.)

Your D would be eligible for at least the Amigo Scholarship--which would make her COA around $14,000/year, plus she'd get $200/year to help defray travel costs. With her stats she ought to get even more merit $$.

Albuquerque has a vibrant local culture and UNM is 3 miles from downtown. (But honestly, the stuff around campus make downtown look pretty dull by comparison.)

And UNM men's and women's soccer--top notch!

D2 is at URochester--their top merit is full tuition but it's only awarded to 10 kids annually. Most merit awards are in the $12,000-$17,000 range--which would still put COA around $30,000-35,000/year.
  • Debbie7452Debbie7452 Registered User Posts: 531 Member
    My D will be a Chem major and I have researched for scholarships/aid for women in Science related majors. Really, I haven't found very much. At her first choice school, for example, they told me that women are not under-represented in science. Now if you can find an acceptable engineering field there is a lot of $$$ for women. My D wouldn't go for it, but maybe you will have better luck!

There is also the consideration of an Honors college at a bigger University. You get the benefits of a smaller school within a larger school. If you get NMSF then you should consider that in my opinion, since there are so many great big school full rides.
  • absweetmarieabsweetmarie Registered User Posts: 1,905 Senior Member
    Lots of doors open with NMF, it seems, so good luck on that score!

But even if a kid isn't at the National Merit level, an honors program at a state U. is a good option. Even so, most state schools will be well above $20K for an OOS student (though some state schools are more affordable). The University of Minnesota, for example, is about $26K for OOS, with scholarship opportunities for OOS kids with good stats, and it does have an honors program. The University of Vermont has an honors college and is on the smallish side, but OOS costs are comparably high. The University of Kansas has extremely generous OOS aid for kids who apply early (close to $10K per year this year). Before you scoff at Kansas, know that Lawrence is a great college town.

Note that when you have a combination of restrictions (school size, location, cost) you are likely going to have to weight those factors and be willing to compromise.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 68,138 Senior Member
    For specifically marine biology, you may want to take a look at this list:
    US Schools offering Marine Biology degrees - MarineBio.org

Some of them have relatively low list prices of around $30,000 per year out-of-state (e.g. Stony Brook, the California public schools with "State" in their name).

UNC Chapel Hill supposedly does give decent need-based financial aid to out-of-state students. Some of the super-selective schools like Stanford are more generous than usual with need-based financial aid.

Keeping a tight lid on costs and debt is a good idea, because biology and chemistry are not particularly well paying after graduation.
  • mathmommathmom Registered User Posts: 30,395 Senior Member
    WPI gave my son even more money than RPI, but it's really small and feels even smaller than it is I think. Great if you want cozy (and there are other things to like about it's academic calendar as well). Merit money is hard to predict. I know posters here who got more money from RPI than WPI. CMU does not have a reputation for being particularly generous.
  • my-3-sonsmy-3-sons Registered User Posts: 2,856 Senior Member
    I know you said OOS, but desire for a strong science program, marine biology and merit aid opportunity screams University of Miami.
This discussion has been closed.