Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please note that there will be maintenance work done at 9:00am ET tomorrow, June 22nd. While it is very unlikely, this may result in 15 minutes maximum of downtime. Thank you in advance for your understanding!

Merit scholarships, medium size schools, science major

Replies to: Merit scholarships, medium size schools, science major

• happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 27,483 Senior Member
  • KajonKajon Registered User Posts: 4,417 Senior Member
    A couple years ago, Case Western Reserve was giving $20,000 per year for top students.
  • lookinuplookinup Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    College of Charlestown has a marine biol program, good location, 10k students 40K list price and a net price calculator. Your daughters stats are above avg there.
  • LonghaulLonghaul Registered User Posts: 2,548 Senior Member
    I second C of Charleston. I would not expect free tuition, but I would hedge my bet that you could get In-State tuition.

There are many LACs much smaller than she wants, which would offer good merit. US News 70-120 ranking range is where you would find the most.

Thanks to M2CK and the many threads here on CC, my son has rethought his desired school size if a large University has an Honors College that includes housing and for him, more than 1 credit seminar.

I recommend digging deeper as to why she wants a mid-sized school - specific traits - and then look for those traits in the small LACs and large Us to broaden your search.

With her stats, Alabama would be free tuition. They have a very nice DVD of the Honors college. You may want to request it.
  • Danielle2400Danielle2400 Registered User Posts: 228 Junior Member
    Based upon your daughter's indicated stats she would have a reasonable opportunity to receive a merit based scholarship at Smith College. There are no guarantees but the stats are consistent with what other merit scholarship receipents had who were given either a STRIDE or Zollman Merit Scholarship. I believe they range in the 15,000-20,000 amounts plus a research opportunity with a Smith professor and an annual stipend of another $2,100.
  • paperplanepaperplane Registered User Posts: 448 Member
    Case offered my D 20k a year (if I remember right--it was right about there)--just keep in mind cost of attendance is about 55k/year.

My D had excellent stats but not as nearly as good in math as yours, but some unusual/notable ECs--however, I think they offered her the big scholarship mainly because she did NOT want to major in a STEM field---they have to work a bit to attract non-STEM, so I'm not sure what the scholarship competition is for those interested in that field! She visited and it was way too science-oriented for her, the whole tour was labs, labs, labs (heaven for a science major probably!) I liked the school/area but it was not a fit for her.

Not sure about how they are for science, as that was not an interest for my D, but College of Charleston offered her a huge merit award & would have been under 20k to attend, including living costs and books etc. I seem to remember hearing that they have a good marine bio dept? Might be worth checking out, great city & if you are in Fla not too far off, maybe a good financial safety
  • crazymomstercrazymomster Registered User Posts: 1,872 Senior Member
    One thing that may a definite advantage for your D would be to retake the SAT and/or the ACT. Her scores are good, but could be better.

Harvey Mudd is much smaller than "mid-sized", but there are 5 schools all "on" the same campus. They do have a few good scholarships and definitely are interested in females. They are definitely not on the east coast however :-).
  • notrichenoughnotrichenough Registered User Posts: 8,454 Senior Member
    Many southern state schools offer decent merit aid to OOS students. You might have to compromise on the size, but it is important to remember that a big school will naturally appear smaller as you establish your circles of interest. On most of the 20-25K student campuses we visited, you would have no idea there were that many people there, you just can't interact with that many people on a daily basis.

Clemson - about 18K students, offered DD $7500/year OOS with stats well below the OP's daughter. They go up to $15K/year, which would bring the price down to the low $20's. B/G ratio is about 50/50, which is nice.

U. South Carolina-Columbia - 25K-ish students, but a well-regarded honors college. OP's stats should earn at worst in-state tuition, which brings the cost under $20K, and would probably do better.

College of Charleston - as a data point, DD was offered $9K/year OOS. Biggest drawback (for my D anyway), it is closing on on 70% women.

Alabama/Auburn - OP's D's test scores would qualify her for automatic free OOS tuition.

Keep an eye on the EA deadlines, for many of these schools you have to apply EA (or essentially EA) in order to be considered for these scholarships.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid Posts: 83,371 Forum Champion
    Notrichenough quote:
    Many southern state schools offer decent merit aid to OOS students. You might have to compromise on the size, but it is important to remember that a big school will naturally appear smaller as you establish your circles of interest. On most of the 20-25K student campuses we visited, you would have no idea there were that many people there, you just can't interact with that many people on a daily basis.

Notrichenough makes some very good points....YES...many big schools don't really feel that big because a student's classes are often in one area of the campus. This can be especially true if the student is coming in with AP Credits and can skip many/most Core/Gen Ed req'ts. Even without the AP credits, some large schools have many of their Core offerings rather centralized on campus to minimize criss-crossing.

For instance, at my kids' large undergrad, a STEM major would pretty much stay in the upper quadrant of campus for classes.

==================

Notrichenough quote:
    College of Charleston - as a data point, DD was offered $9K/year OOS. Biggest drawback (for my D anyway), it is closing on on 70% women.

Alabama/Auburn - OP's D's test scores would qualify her for automatic free OOS tuition.

Keep an eye on the EA deadlines, for many of these schools you have to apply EA (or essentially EA) in order to be considered for these scholarships.

Oh...bummer...wasn't aware that Charleston was now so girl-heavy. I just recommended that to a student who would care about that issue. :( Maybe that's why C recently dropped tuition...to get more boys???

To clarify....Auburn no longer has free tution for those stats. They cut back their scholarships for this last app season.

And YES...pay attention to scholarship deadlines...many are in November and Dec...many are Dec 1st and only accept "up to" certain test dates for SAT/ACT. These deadlines can bite people in the fanny because they often spend much of fall working on the apps for the top schools, and then later find out that their financial safety schools had earlier scholarship deadlines.

So...get the financial safety apps in early...many start accepting apps as early as July!
  • crazedcrazed Registered User Posts: 1,972 Senior Member
    University Miami. Great merit scholarships for her stats.. Likely 3/4 tuition to full ride.. Don't rule it out. May be a great financial safety.
  • my-3-sonsmy-3-sons Registered User Posts: 2,868 Senior Member
    Lisam128-You mentioned being worried about crime at UMiami. Please note that UM is located in the affluent Miami suburb of Coral Gables, not downtown Miami. Please don't rule it out without a visit. UM really has everything your D wants and needs. The merit aid is very generous and the marine bio program is tops. Stock up on sunscreen.:)
  • kpgriswoldkpgriswold Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    Also consider tiny Eckerd College in St. Pete. They have a highly recommended marine bio program, and if your D is a high achiever, they will throw money at her as they did ours.
  • wis75wis75 Registered User Posts: 13,032 Senior Member
    Consider the overall academic and social fit of the school. She could change or tweak her major. She will want strong programs to match her strong HS credentials. Often flagship public U's will have a peer group because of Honors programs. Look at the overall caliber of other colleges. She may discover another passion. Do not worry about the city a school is in as much as the campus itself and then the area close to it. No one would choose Yale for New Haven. Do not discount Miami unless the school itself has problems with safety.
  • HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 31,163 Senior Member
    What about USoCal? It offers generous merit aid and has a WISE program to encourage females in STEM, particularly future engineers. It has an outstanding engineering school.
  • musictwinsmusictwins Registered User Posts: 116 Junior Member
    To poster above, C of C in South Carolina did not recently drop tuition, the school in Charleston, WV just dropped tuition. C of C like many LACs is female dominated however just around the corner is the very male dominant Citadel, and I am sure those young men are very aware of the number of females at C of C
This discussion has been closed.