Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

UCR vs SDSU - Accounting/IT

kandeegurl11kandeegurl11 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
I am a transfer student in the LA area. I am looking to major in Accounting and possibly Information Technology/Systems, but I am having a difficult time deciding between UCR and SDSU. I am 23 and just want to make the best decision in terms of my career. I want a school where I will be able to get to know people and earn a well-respected education in my major(s).

I have heard arguments for both sides... UC's are better schools, but SDSU is regarded for their accounting program. I don't know how true any of this is. Someone please help. Any information would be helpful.
Post edited by kandeegurl11 on

Replies to: UCR vs SDSU - Accounting/IT

• mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 84,878 Forum Champion
    The UCs typically have much, much better FA if you need that.

How will you be paying for college? If you have a low EFC, then go the UC route. If you have a high EFC, and your parents won't pay for a UC, then go to the Cal State.
  • kandeegurl11kandeegurl11 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    That's another thing I'm concerned about because I am considered independent for FA purposes because I was under a legal guardianship until I was 18. Once I transfer, I will be leaving my job and will not have a source of income (until I find a job). My current EFC is high, so I wasn't offered FA (other than the BOG waiver) at the CC that I attend now. But my GPA is 3.57 which I hope will help me in some way...
  • SMCguySMCguy Registered User Posts: 1,352 Senior Member
    If you're independent and make under $80,000 a year UCR will give you free tuition. Cal States will not.

University of California - Blue + Gold Opportunity Plan

I say you apply to both and go with whichever is less costly for you
This discussion has been closed.