Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

safety schools that don't suck

2»

Replies to: safety schools that don't suck

• turntablerturntabler Registered User Posts: 416 Member
    Bennington and Hampshire are almost definitely safeties. Don't get your hopes up too much regarding Green Mountain...I visited and was turned off by the general apathy of the students (an easy acceptance, though). Bennington, on the other hand, was awesome.

Your list looks a good deal like mine...good luck!
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 28,735 Senior Member
    Since you will be a transfer, you need to make it very clear when you ask for advice about the Reach/Match/Safety issue. Being a transfer can greatly affect where a college/university falls in that range for you. So can being a transfer with a full associates degree (usually much better for transferring) rather than being a transfer without that full degree.
  • NJSueNJSue Registered User Posts: 2,840 Senior Member
    The college where my mom is a professor is extremely generous; they cover 70% of tuition for faculty's children, always, no questions asked.

That's fantastic. Good luck to you. You should have no trouble finding a good safety if money is not an issue.
  • noamountofcoffeenoamountofcoffee Registered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
    Bump! Bump!
  • MidwestmomofboysMidwestmomofboys Registered User Posts: 3,768 Senior Member
    Agreed, important to understand requirements and limits of tuition benefits programs. At my husband's employer, we get a percentage of undergrad tuition at his school to pay fees anywhere. However, if those benefits are less than tuition at the chosen school, then those benefits reduce our financial aid award, not our expected family contribution. So, those benefits are great when they pay full tuition(for instance, instate publics) or if we werent eligible for any aid at all.

Most universities we know do not allow you to stack tuition benefits from two parents at same school, the benefits only available once -- so if you get 50% of tuition, you can't combine it from both parents to get 100%.

As the parent of a senior, we learned the hard way about the limits on tuition benefits. Good luck.
2»
This discussion has been closed.