Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

is more selective always better?

ctgodfreyctgodfrey Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
my main schools that ive been accepted to are villanova fordham and c of charleston, im roughly looking at undergrad business and may or may not end up in a grad program like law. there are others that ive gotten into so far, eg hobart and suny maritme, and im still waiting for like my stretch, cornell, but they are beside my point, especially cornell. Fordham and Nova are better for sure, but ive been told that being the top of your class at an easier school is the same as being lower in a harder one. While im sure better is still better the question is whether its enough to justify the other factors. C of C is far cheaper and is giving me a good scholarship. I do not qualify for financial aid and will likely get little more than a few thousand at nova and fordham. as far as campus goes, i like charleston by far the best, and while i havent yet visited nova, as a city kinda guy would put fordham as a safe bet for 2nd. i am a sailor and charleston has by far the best team, followed by a respectable fordham team, villanovas is worst but still ok. so those are my main factors, what would you choose/suggest?
thanks.
Post edited by ctgodfrey on

Replies to: is more selective always better?

• WaverlyWaverly Registered User Posts: 2,669 Senior Member
    School matters for business. But I'm not sure there's that big of a range that it matters here. Cornell is the only one paying up for IMO. Is this a matter of you taking big loans or are your parents willing to pay.
  • zapfinozapfino Registered User Posts: 2,835 Senior Member
    You like C of C best and it's the least expensive so go there. Save your money for a grad or professional program, should you decide to do that.

Unless, you're in the running for a top program like Cornell, I don't feel you're going to find much difference in quality across the typical undergrad business programs. Due to the location of Villanova and Fordham, you might have more internship opportunities, however. Don't know much about SUNY-Maritime, but its main advantage would seem to be if you wanted to work in certain specialized industries---shipping, transportation, etc.
    Two other points:
    -Any potential benefits from the reputation of Fordham, Villanova, or C of C, probably will only hold in the regions in which those schools are located. So, consider where you might like to live and work after you graduate.
    -Participation in sports (such as sailing) may count a a plus for employment as it demonstrates teamwork, social skills, etc.
  • lynxinsiderlynxinsider Registered User Posts: 1,279 Senior Member
    "You like C of C best and it's the least expensive so go there."

Couldn't have said it better myself.
This discussion has been closed.