Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Mid-Level GPA, High SATs?

13»

Replies to: Mid-Level GPA, High SATs?

• qialahqialah Registered User Posts: 1,899 Senior Member
    My D also graduated from a school which sounds similar to yours. I think that rank is much less important for kids coming out of small, selective private schools than it is for kids coming out of large publics. You sound like a strong candidate who has a reasonable shot at a lot of good schools. Your counselor will have the best idea of your chances at any specific school.
  • ThePinkoThePinko Registered User Posts: 74 Junior Member
    I was wondering a lot about Reed and St. John's. Specifically about how prospective top-tier Law Schools might view an undergraduate education there.
    Another worry I have is that, since I have already read many of the "Great Books", I might feel as if I'm retreading old ground while studying.
    Finally, I know almost nothing about these schools, but judging purely off acceptance rates (which are obviously a very poor judge), I am concerned for the level of intelligence of my fellow students. The thing I prioritize most of all in this search for colleges is intelligence of my peers, which might explain a tendency towards the prestigious. I am not saying that these students are not intelligent, I am simply saying that I know too little about these colleges or their students to really make an educated guess. Could someone else who is possibly more familiar with these colleges offer some help?
  • vonlostvonlost Super Moderator Posts: 31,717 Super Moderator
    This table is sometimes cited as suggestive of intellectual schools:

COLLEGE PHD PRODUCTIVITY
  • GeekMom63GeekMom63 Registered User Posts: 1,957 Senior Member
    Another worry I have is that, since I have already read many of the "Great Books", I might feel as if I'm retreading old ground while studying.
    Come ON. You don't think you'd benefit from a re-read???

I don't know those schools well, but I'd guess that for St. John's at least, the applicant pool would be EXTREMELY self-selecting.

Another crummy measure of intelligence (like acceptance rates) is SAT score. Go to http://collegesearch.collegeboard.com/search/adv_typeofschool.jsp, select your criteria, and then search by SAT Verbal Descending.
    "Another worry I have is that, since I have already read many of the "Great Books", I might feel as if I'm retreading old ground while studying."

Reed's Classics course (Hum 110) makes up 10% of Reed's graduation requirements, by units.

Here are the reading lists for various recent semesters: Humanities 110
  • DrGoogleDrGoogle Registered User Posts: 11,047 Senior Member
    I think you should apply to Oxford. They don't care about GPA.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 76,096 Senior Member
    ThePinko wrote:
    I was wondering a lot about Reed and St. John's. Specifically about how prospective top-tier Law Schools might view an undergraduate education there.

The law schools care mostly about your LSAT score and college GPA.
  • ThePinkoThePinko Registered User Posts: 74 Junior Member
    Dr. Google: I was considering Oxford, yes, but their financial aid policy in regard to international applicants is less than generous. As such, it would be impossible for me to attend, even were I accepted.
    Some Reed law school info: LIFE AFTER REED
  • LonghaulLonghaul Registered User Posts: 2,744 Senior Member
    I just can't accept the fact that the GPA is "mid-level"

A 3.0 is mid level -- over 3.7 unweighted with strong curric. I cannot consider mid-level.
  • kylebelieveskylebelieves Registered User Posts: 109 Junior Member
    OP - the reason Reed has such a high acceptance rate is because the applicant pool is made up of people who really want to go there. If you're not from the Portland area, Reed is a school that one comes across after doing a ton of research. The reason HYPSM have <10% acceptance rates is because they are well known, even by the non-college going community; i.e. a lot of people blindly apply "just to see." Reed is a very boutique school. I've had friends who were accepted to USC & Berkeley who were rejected/waitlisted at Reed. Reed is VERY intense, probably the most intense liberal arts school in the country, so the people who end up getting degrees are clearly very driven, passionate, and intellectual. I think it'd be a great fit based on what i've read, and the fact that you think you know everything about a few books required in 2 courses you would take there shouldn't let you discount it.

That being said, I still think you have a very good shot at the Ivies and elite LACs such as Amherst, Williams, and Pomona. Not a shoe-in, but definitely worth a try. Don't count on getting in though, and have some saftey schools that will offer you merit $$ on your list as well.
This discussion has been closed.