Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Ivy League Stereotypes

bunny2015bunny2015 Registered User Posts: 304 Member
edited January 2013 in College Search & Selection
What are the stereotypes of each ivy league? Especially Cornell, I'm very interested.
Post edited by bunny2015 on

Replies to: Ivy League Stereotypes

• Bill73Bill73 Registered User Posts: 214 Junior Member
    No clue. Personally, I have never understood the fascination with Ivy league schools.

Whenever I see high school students obsessing over being accepted to one of these schools, I cringe. You can be successful in life and get into med school, investment banking or consulting if you do well at a state flagship school.
  • bunny2015bunny2015 Registered User Posts: 304 Member
    ok....

My question was how the student body of each school differs.
  • LaggingLagging Registered User Posts: 1,162 Senior Member
    I'm sure it varies based on what part of the country you're in. But here's how it was at my old high school. Dont be dissuaded by stereotypes, they're not accurate depictions generally.

Dartmouth: outdoorsy, rural, party and drinking a lot, conservative etc.

Princeton: preppy, snobbish, "elitist"

Brown: chill, free-thinkers, "hippy ivy," very liberal

Harvard: "elitist," rich, academic driven.

Cornell: "safety ivy" (if you cant get into any other one you get into Cornell). Good sciences, but high suicide rate

Columbia: a bunch of leaders who all dont like each other and are only out for themselves. In the city, lots of fun

Penn: grade inflation galore, excellent business school, terrible location.

Yale: not quite as snobby as Princeton but close second, artsy, big gay population

These are the stereotypes, not my personal beliefs.
  • bunny2015bunny2015 Registered User Posts: 304 Member
    Sounds about right. I've been hearing this around but I wasn't so sure about it. Anyone else?
  • bruno14bruno14 Registered User Posts: 2,005 Senior Member
    I would agree with the stereotypes that Lagging posted but would also warn you heavily not to rely on these stereotypes to make your application decisions. You need to evaluate schools on their own.
  • Shaq395Shaq395 Registered User Posts: 396 Member
    I also agree with what Lagging posted for stereotypes. Except for Cornell- great applied sciences and engineering, but terrible pre-med.
  • g0ld3ng0ld3n Registered User Posts: 896 Member
    What are some more stereotypes about uPenn and Cornell? I haven't heard about the grade inflation one. Curious about more opinions.
  • melody10511melody10511 - Posts: 274 Junior Member
    I can't say about the whole Cornell but it's generally known that Cornell engineering is very rigorous and competitive, and also the best among the Ivies. However, I'm not sure if Cornell engineering is called rigorous because most Cornell students are less competitive than the higher-tier Ivies. (All the good engineering students are probably in MIT, Caltech or Stanford)

UPenn is known as the party ivy, afaik.
  • whenhenwhenhen Registered User Posts: 5,637 Senior Member
    UPenn: Cut throat business school, excellent social scene ("Social Ivy").
    According to a friend that goes there, some stereotypes she's heard about the school are that most people that go there are gay and/or Jewish. So much so that she's heard it referred to as University of Pennsylgaynia or Jew Penn.

Cornell: You'll probably kill yourself before graduation due to the insanely hard engineering program and the fact that it's in f$#@ing Ithaca.
  • michellelmichellel Registered User Posts: 98 Junior Member
    Most of the stereotypes I've listed are the ones I've heard too. Also, UPenn has a reputation as a party school. Cornell does have a suicide reputation, but it's a total lie. People who tell you it has unusually high suicide rates aren't actually correct- they're not much different from the national average at colleges. It just has that reputation because it has a bunch of gorges which I guess people who do commit suicide jump into. Flashy gorge-jumping suicides just get more media attention I guess. In general all the Ivy Leagues have reputations for snobbery (I have a bunch of Ivy friends and think this is a lie. You can find pretentious people anywhere, but they're the exception, not the norm... even at Harvard.)
  • 17891789 Registered User Posts: 328 Member
    Penn has a little of the safety ivy reputation as well, and that Wharton students are prouder of the Wharton brand than the penn brand. Leads to a bit of divisiveness.
  • annasdadannasdad Registered User Posts: 4,827 Senior Member
    (All the good engineering students are probably in MIT, Caltech or Stanford)

Nonsense.

There are hundreds of thousands of practicing engineers in this country who were "good engineering students" and who did not give to MIT, Stanford, or Caltech.
  • scoreforsurescoreforsure Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    All of these must be put into context that they are all Ivies, so the standard is really high at all of them (Even Cornell). Only MIT and Stanford can really compare.

Brown: liberal, freethinking, really chill, open curriculum, not as well funded
    more informal: stoner school, really easy, not really famous for anything other than Emma Watson, Providence isn't so nice

Columbia: independent, edgy students, surrounded by new york, heavy core curriculum emphasizing the classics, international, good grad schools, hipster
    informal: yale's waiting list, barnard connection, random school of general studies

Cornell: big, tough to get through - "easier" to get in, can study anything, traditionally the "working man's ivy", strong hotel and engineering schools
    informal: the ivy safety school, suicide alley, Ithaca is so random

Dartmouth: really small and really isolated, crazy fratty (in the animal house sense), emphasis on undergraduates (or an excuse because their grad schools are pretty bad)

Harvard: traditional, reputation crazy, very academic (but those with connections get z-listed), the most renown, silly finals clubs, great at almost everything
    more informal: egotistical, easy to get in for the well-connected - incredibly hard for everyone else.

Penn: "jewniversity of pennsylgaysia", betchy (scene-y), classy as well as fratty, diverse, international, famous med and business schools, pre-professional
    more informal: party school (see I'm Schmacked), random engineering and nursing schools, confused with state school

Princeton: rich, elitist, pretentious, eating-clubs, undergrad focused, suburban, beautiful architecture
    more informal: always complains about grade deflation to address rampant inflation of past years, insecurity with Harvard and Yale

Yale: artsy, the most gay ivy, really academic, secret societies, famous law school, not the best college town, beautiful architecture, traditional
    more informal: harvard's waiting list, really sketchy borderline hazardous New Haven, bad med and business schools.

All are Division 1 schools, so they recruit all athletes (lots of not-so-smart people) - and all kind of are about as equally athletic.
  • scoreforsurescoreforsure Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    Never heard about grade inflation at Penn, perhaps pre-professional curves? I remember admissions saying that the average GPA (similar across schools) was about 3.3
  • IvytIvyt Registered User Posts: 3,530 Senior Member
    Cornell: Where the University of Phoenix rejects go.
This discussion has been closed.