Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Best English programs from Liberal Arts Colleges?

maxarooonimaxaroooni Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
I want to major in English and eventually earn my PhD. I'm looking for liberal arts colleges in the midwest with great English programs. I want to be well-prepared for graduate school. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated! :)
Post edited by maxaroooni on

Replies to: Best English programs from Liberal Arts Colleges?

• tk21769tk21769 Registered User Posts: 10,285 Senior Member
    Virtually every LAC has an English department.
    Below are the percentages of degrees conferred in English by Kenyon and several of the ACM* schools, as reported in their 2011-12 Common Data Set files.

16.67%..... Kenyon
    7.60%.......Grinnell
    7.40%.......Colorado College
    6%............St. Olaf 11-12
    5.90%.......Carleton 11-12
    5.70%........Lawrence University
    4.30%........Macalester

* ACM = Associated Colleges of the Midwest
    Associated Colleges of the Midwest Home

Kenyon seems to have a relatively strong English department (or at least a relatively a big one, compared to other LACs).
    About the Department - English - Kenyon College
  • Erin's DadErin's Dad Super Moderator Posts: 35,492 Super Moderator
    If you are truly interested in eventually earning a PhD then you might want to look at this. REED COLLEGE PHD PRODUCTIVITY Note the schools with the most English/Lit PhDs (per capita)
  • tk21769tk21769 Registered User Posts: 10,285 Senior Member
    Among alumni of midwestern LACs, the ones who earned the most doctorates overall in the past decade were alumni of Oberlin, Carleton, St. Olaf, Grinnell, Macalester, and Wheaton. St. Olaf alumni earned 73 doctorates in all of the humanities between 2001-2010. I don't have the numbers for English alone, but it must be in the low single digits per year, at most, for each of these schools.

http://www.stolaf.edu/offices/ir/alumni/BacOrigins.htm
  • marvin100marvin100 Registered User Posts: 9,134 Senior Member
    I was an English Lit major at Williams and the department is superb. I was presented with far more cutting-edge/influential theory than two of my close friends, who majored in English Lit at Grinnell and Kenyon. I'm quite sure English is terrific at Amherst and Swarthmore, too. I have a few former students in the English dept. at Pomona, and their reports are glowing.
This discussion has been closed.