Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Sticky situation on decision for school

smitty192smitty192 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
edited November 2012 in College Search & Selection
So I'm in a sticky situation. 4th year of college and really have gotten no where but some general education requirements. Long term goal is to go to PA school, but decided to do respiratory therapy before hand to gain experience in the field. But I still need my bachelors as well. I was accepted into the RT program that starts in the spring, but it is only an Associates degree at a private university(only place that has it around here). The cost is quite high(looking at 25k+ for 2 year program). With the medical field the way it is now, is it even worth me going into debt for this or would i be better off finishing up my bachelors degree and take a step closer to PA?
Post edited by smitty192 on

Replies to: Sticky situation on decision for school

  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 25,560 Senior Member
    Will that $25k get you a job? It may be worth it to you. You are in your fourth year of college. You have no clear major, and it sounds like you won't be able to graduate in the spring with a bachelors degree in anything at all. Maybe it is time to quit fooling around, and set yourself some kind of clear goal that will get you into the workforce earning money sooner rather than later.
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 25,560 Senior Member
    On the other hand if you drop the notion of the RT, and buckle down, how soon can you reasonably expect to finish the PA program? If you can accomplish that with less debt, that would probably be the way to go.
  • smitty192smitty192 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    It would be a while before PA school to be honest, but I was going after a business finance degree if I decide on bachelor's, so something I would be able to hopefully work with. RT is obviously the quickest choice, but for long term I'm just unsure
  • KKmamaKKmama Registered User Posts: 2,760 Senior Member
    Have you taken the science courses that you will need for the PA program? Do you have any kind of medical background or volunteer work started?

    It might be best for you to do the RT program. Who knows, you might enjoy it enough to stay with it. It is certainly less expensive than two years of PA education, and doesn't have the requirements for undergrad science courses, and a lot easier to get into.
  • smitty192smitty192 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Some of the courses I have previously taken, just have a few more I would have to take while I work on my bachelors. While it is less expensive than pa, my concern is the amount I'd make in RT to pay off my student loans
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 25,560 Senior Member
    How much would you need to borrow for the RT program? What kind of loans would those be? Federal or private? If they would be private loans, who would co-sign for you? In other words, you might not even be able to get those loans in the first place.
  • smitty192smitty192 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Around 25k for school and 10k to live for the time being since I'm not going to be able to work much. I've already been approved for my loans, 15k in federal unsubsidized and the other 20 in private which my dad consigned for. I'm at the school right now in which the RT program is, had to take a semester of classes before I could start. The whole issue is just that I could recieve my bachelor's for half the price at LSU, or an AS for double the price but be out of school about a year or year and a half sooner. Both have their pros and cons about doing either or, but just a tough decision for the time being
This discussion has been closed.