right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Schools with 30-40% admissions

9letters9letters 25 replies26 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 51 Junior Member
Hey everyone. I'm working on finding colleges right now and I'm trying to find a few more match schools. I know that the acceptance rate isn't everything and that I've given a very broad range, but I just need a place to start and then I can do further research. The schools I have in mind right now are:
Reach-Tufts, Barnard, Georgetown, Northwestern, NYU-CAS
Match-American, BU, Northeastern
Safeties- UMass-Amherst, UNH, Quinnipiac.
I'm looking to major in internation relations. I would also prefer that the school is in an urban area, has pre-law advising and a MUN club.
Thank you!

Sorry, I meant 30-50% admissions rate. Also Im looking for LACs.
edited June 2013
6 replies
Post edited by 9letters on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Schools with 30-40% admissions

• whenhenwhenhen 5530 replies111 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,641 Senior Member
    Some of these schools will have >40% admissions rate, and I'm not sure if they all offer pre-law advising, although I seriously doubt it's necessary to get into law school.

-Lewis & Clark College
    -Reed College
    -Rhodes College
    -DePaul University
    -Drake University
    -Goucher College
    -Loyola Marymount University (I believe)
    -Macalaster College
    -CU Boulder
    -University of Oklahoma
    -University of San Diego

Also you should add Emory to your list. Great international relations program, and a model UN.
    · Reply · Share
  • 9letters9letters 25 replies26 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 51 Junior Member
    Thank you very much. I'll start going through these now.
    · Reply · Share
  • tk21769tk21769 10587 replies27 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 10,614 Senior Member
    Admission rates at Boulder, DePaul, Drake, Goucher, Lewis & Clark, Loyola Marymount, and Oklahoma are all higher than 50% (some of them much higher).

I think the SAT range in many cases will indicate selectivity better than the admit rate. Some schools are "self selecting". They get relatively few applications, but the ones they get tend to be from strong students.

Goucher is worth checking out, not only on its own merits but also because it allows cross-registration with Johns Hopkins (which has a strong IR program). Macalester also seems like a good suggestion (although it's a bit more selective than AU, BU, and Northeastern).

How about George Washington? Admission is in-line with (or slightly more selective than) AU. Both schools have well-regarded IR programs and the benefits of their DC locations. University of Denver may be another "match" school in an urban area with good IR.

Inside the Ivory Tower - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I agree w/whenhen about "pre-law advising". Forget about that as a significant factor. Even if it were an important benefit, I don't think there is any way to compare the quality of it from school to school, or the value of one school's advisory program vs. mentoring you might get elsewhere from someone outside the program.
    · Reply · Share
  • whenhenwhenhen 5530 replies111 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,641 Senior Member
    Tk, absolutely. I previously indicated that some will have acceptance rates greater than 40%. I mostly based my list on schools which offer Model UN while ignoring the selectivity which can vary by region (I guarantee that if Reed were located in a Northeastern city, it would be among the most selective LACs in the country)

Some schools that I forgot to mention:
    University of Puget Sound
    Case Western
    Drexel
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 76097 replies663 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 76,760 Senior Member
    Wouldn't pre-law advising be to:

* Avoid debt and save money.
    * Get the highest GPA you can get.
    * Get the highest LSAT score you can get.
    * Attend a top 14 law school or bust. (Slightly lower ranked schools with good regional reputation are ok if one wants to work in the region.)
    · Reply · Share
  • happy1happy1 22407 replies2183 discussionsForum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 24,590 Forum Champion
    Fordham, GW
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity