Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We want your feedback! Complete our survey and enter to win one of four $25 gift cards.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

Difficulty of University of Washingston

Replies to: Difficulty of University of Washingston

• carolyncarolyn Registered User Posts: 7,435 Senior Member
    UW is a TERRIFIC school. It's a classic example of how selectivity doesn't always equate with quality. People who ONLY look at selectivity numbers often miss out on some great schools.
  • beramodberamod - Posts: 512 Member
    Yeah... UW is my first choice, but my dad wants me to go to UT austin because it's $5000 cheap (I'm international). But I've lived in Seattle for 3 yrs... amazing place (especially the used book store i used to hang around).
  • GoBlue81GoBlue81 Registered User Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    UT-Austin is a great university with a beautiful campus. Austin is quite a nice city (though not quite like Seattle). UT is, however, more selective than UW for out-of-state.

p.s. Which used book store? Is it anywhere near the Ave?
  • caseyatbatcaseyatbat Registered User Posts: 283 Junior Member
    I have 2 (S and D) that are presently at the UW. S is graduating this quarter and D is a senior. I also have one recently accepted (but looking elsewhere too). We are out of state. Both kids have had a tremendous "fit" with the school, and couldn't have asked more from a college experience. Both fell in love with the campus, the city, NW people, their majors, profs, sports scene....the whole package.
    The above links look like great info for acceptance chances. From personal experience, I will say that last year at D's high school (Out of st.), 1260/3.5's did not get in, whereas 1290's/3.7's seemed to. I do not know if other factors were taken into consideration and obviously don't know this year's applicant pool. It's just something to chew on...
    For the right student, the UDub is a great choice.
    I just read OP's original inquiry--difficulty. I am sure different majors require different efforts. Both of mine are in competitive majors (Computer science and Bus/Accting). Both study a lot, and enjoy themselves a lot when appropriate. They seem to have had little trouble balancing--though S pulls his share of all nighters to bring balance back! Both are bright, social kids. They work hard and feel they have earned good grades. Both have done very well grade wise. Please do not think I am bragging here..just trying to give a feel for what it takes. I believe that both kids feel that the U has made them feel like winners...and that they have worked their tails off to get there. Hope this helps...
  • dreamkisseddreamkissed Registered User Posts: 163 Junior Member
    1260, 3.5 didn't make it in? In that case, I won't either.
    Dreamkissed-please don't stress. I am giving only surface information. There are so many unknowns in this process. The person who wasn't admitted had a relatively low class rank, A's in 9th and lots of C's in 11th, B's and C's in AP's and then scored 5's on the AP tests....lots of things an admissions office might look at. There are so many good schools out there. And the large majority of people I have seen go thru this process inevitably feel like the system works. Just keep up the good work and have some faith.
This discussion has been closed.