Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Interdisciplinary Courses

loveticcoloveticco Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
edited September 2013 in College Search & Selection
I am looking for universities that offers interdisciplinary courses that include Chemistry, Biology, Geology and Physics. I am really interested in this field. Last year, I did a project with my classmates about Permian Extinction. In that project, in order to solve some problem, I had to use knowledge from various subjects. This kind of feeling is so great! Can anyone tell me some universities that offer courses or programs like that or can someone give me some suggestion on my major choice? Thank you a lot!!!
Post edited by loveticco on

Replies to: Interdisciplinary Courses

• whenhenwhenhen Registered User Posts: 5,641 Senior Member
    For geology most schools with a decent program will offer interdisciplinary courses although to get a solid foundation in the field you need to take the core courses as well as specialized ones for the major. Also at the upper div level, most courses integrate those core subjects. For instance, in my mineralogy class (not an upper division class) we had to look at the crystalline structure as well as the formation environment of all sorts of minerals and mineraloids. To do so required an understanding both of chemistry and a bit of biology. At the upper div level, students routinely use physics, chemistry, and geology to understand landforms and how they're shaped. If you're interested in geology, engineering, geophysics, or agriculture and your school doesn't purport to integrate the fields into its upper div course work, don't go there.

Others might recommend Evergreen State College which uses an interdisciplinary teaching methodology. For a student interested in non hard science fields, this can be a great school. For those interested in the fields you listed, I'd stay away.

Majors you may wish to look into:
    -Environmental Science
    -Environmental Engineering
    -Material Science
    -Geology
    -Geophysics
    -Agriculture
    -Civil Engineering
    -Construction Science

You might also want to consider a school where undergraduate research is easy to access. Most geology research projects integrate a number of disciplines, especially physics and chemistry. One of the projects at my school that I'm most familiar with also extensively uses microbial biology and geophysics in conjunction with fluid mechanics, computer modelling, and a liberal dose of soil science (among others). I know a couple of undergrads who've worked on this project, and professors were more than welcoming to their participation.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 40,138 Senior Member
    I think neuroscience also fits the bill of an interdisciplinary major.
    Look at Oberlin, Pomona, Colorado College, Bowdoin, Colby, Brandeis, Cornell, Hamilton, Brown, Dickinson, Lehigh, Trinity, Allegheny... (+ the women's colleges if you're a girl)
    If you're looking for a series of interdisciplinary classes about science, not necessarily a major, you may be interested in The Science Conversation at St Olaf.
    About the Science Conversation
  • loveticcoloveticco Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    So if I major in Environmental science, I will first learn some fundamental courses and then learn some more specialized ones. Actually I have considered environmental science or engineering but my mother thought that kind of jobs are too tiring. Since I am a diabetes, it will be a little bit inconvenient to go to a lot places and do researches. Is that true?
    By the way, how do I know that the school offers undergraduate research projects that are easy to access? Thank you a lot for you reply!
  • loveticcoloveticco Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    By the way, how do I know weather the school is offering this kind of interdisciplinary courses? Thank you !!
This discussion has been closed.