Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Path to Becoming a Pharmacist

JiuJitsuNerdJiuJitsuNerd Registered User Posts: 34 Junior Member
edited August 2013 in College Search & Selection
I have lots of questions (some of which I can't remember right now), so any amount of input, whether answering my questions or just related to this topic overall, will be a huge help!

I am currently a junior in high school and my goal is to become a pharmacist (I am thinking of primarily becoming either a hospital and institutional pharmacist, a managed-care pharmacist, or a pharmaceutical researcher). As for sciences, I have taken biology, chemistry, and am currently taking AP Chem; next year, I plan on taking AP Physics B and AP Bio. For math, I have taken geometry, algebra II/trig, and am currently in AP Calc AB, and next year, I plan on taking AP Calc BC and AP Stats. I have completed the courses I have taken with an A. Right now, I am interested in majoring in pharmacological chemistry at UCSD, but I am not sure if that would be the right path to take in pursuing my dream of becoming a pharmacist.

1. Which colleges/universities should I consider to carry out my goal of becoming a pharmacist, and why?
2. Should I major in pharmacy, pharmacology, pharmacological chemistry, chemistry, or something else (or double major)?
3. What degree should I get to later attend a graduate program at UCSF (UCSF has the top-ranked pharmacy school in the US)?
Post edited by JiuJitsuNerd on

Replies to: Path to Becoming a Pharmacist

• JiuJitsuNerdJiuJitsuNerd Registered User Posts: 34 Junior Member
    Also, does anyone have any experience in the pharmacy or pharmacology program/profession? If so, I would appreciate your input very much!
  • stanatedjstanatedj Registered User Posts: 488 Member
    1. Any school with a strong chemistry or biochemitry program, but don't rule out some of the programs that have admission agreements (Drake, for example allows Pharmacy students to have a sort of preferred status for application to their Pharmacy school)
    2. Broadly speaking, I'd major in something that can be a 'fall back' - there isn't a great advantage to majoring in Pharmacy over Chemistry as an undergrad.
    3. While I can appreciate you wanting to go to UCSF, I'd not get too hung up on getting into that one single program. There isn't as great a difference in career prospects between number 1 Pharmacy school versus number 30. That said, I think Chemistry or Biochem would both be good.

Not a Pharmacist, but did a lot of research for a son at one point.

I have heard recently that while pay is great and job prospects are still good, jobs are getting slightly tighter in recent years.
This discussion has been closed.