Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Brown vs. Cornell vs. Duke vs. UMich?

mzday73mzday73 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
edited September 2013 in College Search & Selection
I'm a student looking for a school with great Humanities programs (along with strength in every major in case studies in English or Psychology don't work out) as well as sturdy athletics (namely women's rowing). In terms of academia, which college is the best? (Also for job placement...) Any input is helpful!
Post edited by mzday73 on

Replies to: Brown vs. Cornell vs. Duke vs. UMich?

• BrownParentBrownParent Registered User Posts: 12,776 Senior Member
    Those things are just not quantifiable.

Job placement is about a lot more than which school you went to. In this economy it pays off to make yourself attractive through research and internship experiences.
  • whatisbusinesswhatisbusiness Registered User Posts: 59 Junior Member
    in terms of humanities ranking. They are all top tier so its really apples and oranges. However I do think that the top 3 give you the snob factor over mich.
    Brown
    Duke
    Cornell
    Michigan
    In terms of college experience ranking (this section is not objective whatsoever)
    Duke
    Cornell
    Michigan
    Brown

For Rowing, any Ivy league will have a great team. Michigan is huge so if you are trying to walk on to the actual team GL, but there will obv be club.

If I had to pick two to go to I would pick Cornell and Michigan. However, for what you want Brown and Duke are your best fits.
  • Pat1120Pat1120 Registered User Posts: 605 Member
    They're all excellent. Apply to the ones that you like most (possibly all 4) and then decide when you get your acceptance letter(s)
  • teenbodybuilderteenbodybuilder Registered User Posts: 1,649 Senior Member
    Apply to all and like qualities about each one. They all have good programs and sports teams. You likely won't get into them all.
  • IvytIvyt Registered User Posts: 3,531 Senior Member
    They are all great schools, you should make your decision on which is the better fit if you get into all four.
  • goldenboy8784goldenboy8784 Registered User Posts: 1,698 Senior Member
    In terms of job recruiting among liberal arts majors, I would rank them as Duke>Brown>Cornell>Michigan.

Most companies that target Cornell and Michigan will focus their efforts on their undergraduate business school students rather than the liberal arts students. Brown, despite not having a business programs, lags Duke a bit since its graduates have traditionally been less interested in fields like consulting and finance. Also, Brown doesn't have an MBA program so its alumni base in the business world is rather limited compared to the other three universities.

According to academia, all 4 colleges are highly regarded. I don't think this makes a difference for you however since you don't intend to pursue graduate studies.
  • HarvestMoon1HarvestMoon1 Registered User Posts: 6,228 Senior Member
    I would say Brown.
  • par72par72 Registered User Posts: 4,208 Senior Member
    Duke>Brown>Cornell>Michigan
  • beyphybeyphy Registered User Posts: 2,237 Senior Member
    In terms of having the best humanities program, that would probably go to Brown; in terms of being the most well rounded, that would probably go to Michigan; in terms of being the most prestigious from an academic standpoint, that would probably go to Brown and Cornell, mostly due to snobbery in academia.

I also agree that Duke is likely the best for job placement for liberal arts majors (but I disagree that the others lag far behind it.)

I agree with the others though, admissions decisions will likely determine your available options and from those you can examine them based on fit to see which one you'd like to attend. I would advise you to do your research like seeing online tours on Youtube and the like to at least try to give yourself an idea of the universities.
  • goldenboy8784goldenboy8784 Registered User Posts: 1,698 Senior Member
    Beyphy, your post is full of factual errors. Why does Brown have the strongest Humanities program (whatever that means)? Cornell, Duke, and UMich have higher ranked graduate programs in nearly all the relevant subjects like English, History, Poli Sci, etc.

If you're talking about the strength of the respective student bodies, then Brown and Duke would be the leaders followed by a slight drop to Cornell and then UMich by quite a margin.

In terms of undergraduate a academic reputation, Cornell seems to have the edge followed by Duke and then Brown/UMich. All schools are ranked close to each other.

PEER ASSESSMENT SCORES
    Cornell: 4.6
    Duke: 4.5
    Brown: 4.4
    UMich: 4.4

My advice is to apply to UMich early so you have at least one acceptance letter on hand. If you get wait listed by Michigan, don't even bother applying to the other 3 schools. They are much, much more selective.
  • beyphybeyphy Registered User Posts: 2,237 Senior Member
    Why does Brown have the strongest Humanities program (whatever that means)? Cornell, Duke, and UMich have higher ranked graduate programs in nearly all the relevant subjects like English, History, Poli Sci, etc.

My motivation for saying this was based on the fact that Brown allows students to create their own major, giving them probably the most control out of any of the universities in designing their own liberal arts major.

As I presumed before I looked up the rankings, the differences in ranking between the universities is fairly small, with the exception of political science, where Brown does much worse than the other three. But in general, I doubt that the small higher ranks the other universities have in graduate rankings will outweigh the benefits of Brown, at least for someone that wants a very liberal arts education.

From the high school counselor rankings, Brown ranks just slightly out of the #1 spot by getting a 4.8 in peer assessment as opposed to the 4.9 that the others have in an eight-way tie. (Although I will note that Cornell does get a 4.9 ranking, and hence is tied for the #1 spot.) However it does have a higher score than both Duke and Michigan.

Additionally, Brown and Cornell are Ivies, giving them a slight prestige edge over the others. Although Duke is a very prestigious university, i'd say it is slightly behind the others in terms of prestige due to not being an Ivy. But again, we're splitting hairs here.

Overall, OP, I agree that all of these universities are close enough that you shouldn't let small differences sway your decision. If you prefer Duke, Cornell, or Michigan over Brown in terms of fit, by all means go to one of the others.
  • Jwest22Jwest22 Registered User Posts: 413 Member
    "My motivation for saying this was based on the fact that Brown allows students to create their own major, giving them probably the most control out of any of the universities in designing their own liberal arts major."

This doesn't in anyway make a school stronger in the humanities.

"From the high school counselor rankings, Brown ranks just slightly out of the #1 spot by getting a 4.8 in peer assessment as opposed to the 4.9 that the others have in an eight-way tie. (Although I will note that Cornell does get a 4.9 ranking, and hence is tied for the #1 spot.) However it does have a higher score than both Duke and Michigan."

Neither does this.

"Additionally, Brown and Cornell are Ivies, giving them a slight prestige edge over the others. Although Duke is a very prestigious university, i'd say it is slightly behind the others in terms of prestige due to not being an Ivy. But again, we're splitting hairs here."

You're inflating the ivy allure. Not many people think more highly of Cornell and Brown solely because they're ivy. To the contrary, ivy snobs think less of them because they're supposedly the lowest ranked.

Bias aside, Goldenboy's assessment is spot on.
  • HarvestMoon1HarvestMoon1 Registered User Posts: 6,228 Senior Member
    I don't know anyone who thinks that Brown is a lower ranked Ivy. My own impression is that it's open curriculum is a huge draw to many. It's admit rate of 9% is less that Dartmouth's and Columbia's. Certainly it's academic reputation is on par with the rest.
  • IvytIvyt Registered User Posts: 3,531 Senior Member
    You're inflating the ivy allure. Not many people think more highly of Cornell and Brown solely because they're ivy. To the contrary, ivy snobs think less of them because they're supposedly the lowest ranked.

If you're talking general prestige, all you have to do is bring up that the school is in the Ivy League and it will be seen in the same light as HYP by the common person.
This discussion has been closed.