Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Medical School in Scotland

zedlepplinzedlepplin Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
I am a senior in High School in the United States, and I want to study to become a psychiatrist. I will have enough credit hours from concurrent enrollment to start college next year as a junior, if I go to a state school that will accept the credits. I was wondering if I should just start over and go to Scotland as a freshman and go through medical school for five years, which would be expensive, or get a bachelors degree and then apply for graduate/medical school in Scotland (Either the University of Edinburgh or the University of Glasgow). Would it still be five years long, even if I already completed a bachelors, or would it take less time? I would like to do the latter because if it takes less time, it would be less expensive, and there are more scholarship opportunities for graduate students, but I really don't know if that's how it works. I tried looking for the information on the two universities' websites, but it wasn't very helpful.

Replies to: Medical School in Scotland

  • International95International95 Registered User Posts: 1,612 Senior Member
    edited May 2014
    Admission to medical schools in the UK/Scotland is incredibly competitive for international students. If you look at statistics, you'd find that 10-15 intls out of about 600-800 intls are admitted into those undergraduate medical programs. Who says you don't have to pay for graduate schools in the UK? "there are more scholarship opportunities for graduate students" for 1-year master's degrees, probably. But for medicine (whether UG or G)? That too for international students? I highly doubt it. Even PhD programs in the UK aren't funded. Those schools are not nearly as wealthy as American private colleges, so you would most probably have to pay for the MD degree too.
This discussion has been closed.