Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Debate Teams at these universities?

AnnaLuxeAnnaLuxe Registered User Posts: 129 Junior Member
Hey so I'm a junior that's really into speech/debate and it's something I want to continue doing in college.
Does anyone know what the debate scene is like at any of these universities?

Georgetown
U of Chicago
Amherst
Princeton
Williams
Harvard
Pomona
Columbia

Replies to: Debate Teams at these universities?

• dividerofzerodividerofzero Registered User Posts: 547 Member
    Georgetown, UChicago, and Northwestern seem to attract the top kids from the TOC/NFL Nats every year (I think Greenhill RK's at Northwestern) so I'd say their programs are solid, especially Northwestern- given their history at CEDA Nats and the NDT.

For the others, I'd just check their history at NDT and CEDA Nationals if you're looking for a Policy program:

http://groups.wfu.edu/NDT/HistoricalLists/winners.html (past NDT winners)
    http://awards.cedadebate.org/past_nats_champs (past CEDA Nationals winners)

Here's the APDA rankings if you're looking into Parli: http://www.apdaweb.org/results

Ivies (and the rest of the Northeast) tend more toward Parli from what I know.
  • AnnaLuxeAnnaLuxe Registered User Posts: 129 Junior Member
    Wow thanks so much!
    I'm not from the states so I had no clue that you guys had national rankings for parli XD

Canadian debate leans more towards worlds/bp so I hope parli is a good fit
    No problem. I don't know which tournaments are considered the "big ones" (at least on the high school level, we pay a ton more attention to results from, say, the Cal Invitational than to most others) but you should be able to see a common set of teams that stands out. Most American colleges tend toward parli due to the workload (and some, like Yale, have internal parli organizations as well).

Given the reputation of those schools, though, I'm pretty sure they offer solid debate opportunities. All of them are known as schools that respect debate.
    No problem. I don't know which tournaments are considered the "big ones" (at least on the high school level, we pay a ton more attention to results from, say, the Cal Invitational than to most others) but you should be able to see a common set of teams that stands out. Most American colleges tend toward parli due to the workload (and some, like Yale, have internal parli organizations as well).

Given the reputation of those schools, though, I'm pretty sure they offer solid debate opportunities. All of them are known as schools that respect debate.
This discussion has been closed.