Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Ivy League material?

Ivyhope1999Ivyhope1999 Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
I just want honest opinions, upfront and honest and professional please- I'm a sophomore but I will have these qualifications by the time I'm done high school- I want to know now if it is enough to get in or do I need to do more- I'm not sure if it will make a difference but I'm Indian, Pennsylvania and I'm going pre med for sure...

- IB
- Above 4 GPA (4.06 ish)
- top 5% of class
- 2300 or above SAT
- 700 or above on SAT subject tests
- founder and president of spelling bee
- debate team coach and captain(4 yr)
- grade president (3 years)
- NHS secretary (2 years)
- science fair winner (3 years in a row)
- tennis team manager (3 years)
- track (3 years)
- robotics (3 years)
- summer chemistry course at upenn
- classes every Thursday at upenn
- shadowed doctors in India & America (3 years)
- strong recommendation from india doctor
- reccomendation from American doctor
- national merit scholarship winner

I hope that it's obv, but for the sake of the forum I'll say that my strongest field is public speaking.

Replies to: Ivy League material?

• KarnierKarnier Registered User Posts: 194 Junior Member
    Don't worry about it and just do your best. A lot changes in one year and unless you already met most of these qualifications, you can never be sure.
  • Ivyhope1999Ivyhope1999 Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    I've met about half of them already I just need the SAT score, NHS and to keep doing all my activities- I have leadership roles in all of them already. But from that do u think I have a fair shot at it? @Karnier‌
  • WasatchWriterWasatchWriter Registered User Posts: 2,528 Senior Member
    Chance threads for very selective schools are almost meaningless. An SAT score over 2250 or so and an unweighted GPA close to 4.0 mean that your application won't get ignored. I think you know that. What you seem to be asking is how much your extracurricular activities will help, and no one can really answer that. To stay competitive, keep doing what you're doing and don't screw it up.
  • Ivyhope1999Ivyhope1999 Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    One of my concerns is that I'm scattering my energy per say, should I drop something I don't have leadership in, such as track, I'm not sure if it will take away or add onto my application? @WasatchWriter‌
  • WasatchWriterWasatchWriter Registered User Posts: 2,528 Senior Member
    If you are honestly devoting a significant amount of time to each activity, I wouldn't worry about it. If you think you are not contributing as much as you can to all activities, drop some.

You don't have to be a leader in everything. Commitment is valuable by itself.
  • snarlatronsnarlatron Registered User Posts: 1,635 Senior Member
    I want to know now if it is enough to get in or do I need to do more
    Students who try to do things for the express goal of getting into the tip top most selective schools seldom get in. I suspect that your parents are applying the pressure. Expand your goals to top 200 schools. Spend time on things that you are good at and that interest you. Whether you end up at Med School can be figured out later.
  • ItsJustSchoolItsJustSchool Registered User Posts: 1,974 Senior Member
    I think your concern in item #4 is well-founded. Do you care about robotics? Why are you taking courses at UPenn? What do you want to achieve as a physician? Perhaps take a look at this from a time-management perspective and analyze how you spend your time. What truly speaks to you? What do you want to investigate? Where can you fundamentally make a contribution? Look for maximum impact in your community or in helping to determine your interests and carry them to depth. Expanding beyond your school walls in terms of impact in areas where you have a passion will be where you can deepen your value. Outside validation on a city-wide, state-wide, nation-wide, or international scale will certainly help. Add to your dream resume some international or national recognition (National Championship, NFL), research at UPenn in Chem (or bio, or whatever) as named author.
This discussion has been closed.