Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Which college?

reneejayxoreneejayxo Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
I wanted to know which college do you think is the best and why? List reasons please and do consider all factors not just academics.
University of Pennsylvania
Columbia University
Georgetown University
Cornell University
NYU
Penn State University
Temple University

Replies to: Which college?

• fogcityfogcity Registered User Posts: 3,228 Senior Member
    I would order them into two groups, using pretty much the same order in which you've listed them: UPenn through Cornell, and then NYU through Temple. Distinguishing within the colleges in the first group is subjective. Location matters a great deal to some and not so much to others. If location is important to you then it's difficult for an outsider to pick between Columbia and Cornell. Assuming you have a safety or two, and you have a financial plan to afford them all, apply to all them.
  • woogzmamawoogzmama Registered User Posts: 3,850 Senior Member
    I'd be inclined to rank Columbia at the top academically, but I'm decidedly prejudiced. I would also qualify that by placing Penn at the top if you want an undergraduate Business program; Georgetown for International Affairs/Foreign Service/Government; and Cornell for some Science and Engineering departments. I believe Columbia probably has the best overall liberal arts education, but you have to want (or at least accept) its Core Curriculum. That's an asset for some students, and a liability for others. Cornell and Penn State are outliers if you want an urban environment. Are you a PA resident? If so, you might want to think about adding Pitt (where you can also benefit from in-state tuition and good merit scholarships). Unless you have specific academic interests, you could drop Cornell. You could either add Harvard as a super-reach, or choose some additional urban schools like Vanderbilt, Tulane, WashU-St. Louis, U. Chicago, et al. If you are in PA, and you are academically qualified for the reach schools on your list, Temple should be a good, affordable safety. Penn State has great football and Greek life, and I know its alumni/ae are fiercely loyal and enthusiastic about it. It's a very good public university, but I see no point in applying if you're from out-of-state. Choose your own state's flagship, in that case. NYU is legendarily stinky about financial aid, if that's an issue. Some divisions of the university are much more selective than others, furthermore, so Stern, for example, is no safety for anyone looking at undergraduate Business schools. You will be in an exciting location, though. Philadelphia is a great city for young people, too, and much more affordable than NYC. Overall, I think you have a good selection, but I might be inclined to drop Cornell unless you have a compelling reason for including them.
  • diplomilldiplomill Registered User Posts: 128 Junior Member
    I think you can immediately knock out NYU, Penn State University, Temple University... all great schools but not in the same class as those other. Also depends on the major
  • jkeil911jkeil911 Registered User Posts: 6,009 Senior Member
    edited February 2015
    knock them out in what sense? the student might not get into any of the other schools, @diplomill. for all we know, the student might not have a chance at any of them because the family cannot afford them.
  • diplomilldiplomill Registered User Posts: 128 Junior Member
    @jkeil911 well they didn't mention anything about admissions or money. All they asked was which was the best school, and the ones I listed are certainly not the best out of ll those listed. If they are talking about specifically for them then it is a totally different story but their is no mention of that.
  • mango6986mango6986 Registered User Posts: 92 Junior Member
    My favorite out of all those is Columbia, because it's in NYC, so there's a lot of opportunity, plus it's a name everybody knows. I watched a presentation on Columbia and it was fantastic. It sounded like a really fun place to go, but still very intense academically, obviously. Although apparently there's a mandatory swim test unless you're an engineer.

Cornell also has a great reputation, if you like the rigor but prefer to be in a more rural area. And Ithaca is gorges, of course.
This discussion has been closed.