Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What US News ranking system is more useful/reliable?

metalmonk28metalmonk28 Registered User Posts: 226 Junior Member
If I'm looking to major in Finance/Business, which rankings should I be more concerned with? The overall rankings of the schools or the undergraduate Business rankings?

Replies to: What US News ranking system is more useful/reliable?

• fogcityfogcity Registered User Posts: 3,228 Senior Member
    I would be inclined to put more weight on the overall rankings. There are various reasons for thinking this way. Depending on the college, you are likely to take courses, perhaps "many", outside the specific area of your major, and in practice some of the courses (e.g. statistics, pre-law, advanced math, economics. specific regional courses) serve multiple majors, while others, depending on the college, may be "sector" requirements, these in the interest of encouraging you to get a well rounded education. Another reason is that, like a significant number of students, you may decide to change majors. In many colleges you don't pick a major till end of sophomore year.
  • albert69albert69 Registered User Posts: 3,247 Senior Member
    I would say look for good schools in your specific area. I am going into aerospace engineering, and it's most important to me that the school has a good program in that. It doesn't really matter if the Art History or Philosophy or Journalism departments are great because I don't need many, if any, courses in those areas.

Now, if you are unsure what exactly you want to go into, then you might want to looks for a school that is strong all around. (Of course, the price and selectivity goes higher the more that happens.)
  • nanotechnologynanotechnology Registered User Posts: 2,526 Senior Member
    I recall something that the rankings of subject areas like this is done just based on recommendations from other universities (can't find the source right now). But that would definitely make it a pretty unreliable measure. Honestly, though, I wouldn't put much weight in any of them.
  • PurpleTitanPurpleTitan Registered User Posts: 11,777 Senior Member
    To get on Wall Street, don't look at rankings. Go to Wall Street Oasis to find out which are target schools.

For jobs outside of Wall Street, many/any will do.
  • UCBChemEGradUCBChemEGrad Registered User Posts: 10,277 Senior Member
    Depends if you want to go to a school that offers an undergraduate business major, essentially an MBA-lite, or go to a top school that doesn't offer an undergraduate business degree, in which case you might major in something business related like economics.

The USNWR undergrad business program rankings are for schools that offer an undergraduate business degree program. However, there are plenty of other top rated schools that can be great for undergraduate economics...Harvard, Chicago, Stanford and Princeton are examples.
  • EyeVeeeEyeVeee Registered User Posts: 568 Member
    With many caveats, I'd say overall rankings are of primary importance (for those that care).

If you are going to specialize in a particular specialty (Aerospace for example), program reputation is key. For something like economics, 99% of recruiters / hiring managers will have a sense of the overall college rankings, but no idea about program specifics.

I would suggest you consider your goals (for an econ degree) more, and worry less about where it's from. By that I mean....consider math, engineering or something more rigorous than business. Consider a double major. A math degree from an Ivy or select LAC has (IMO) more utility than a business degree.
  • TopTierTopTier Registered User Posts: 2,766 Senior Member
    Overall rankings, and here's why: Many secondary school seniors seem very sure of their undergraduate major and, even, their long-term professional career choice. The irony is most kids change their majors at least once, and sometimes several times, during their undergraduate tenures. Therefore, student "a's" decision to attend university "x" -- it's not too highly ranked, but its undergraduate accounting program is very favorably rated -- might become rather problematic when "a" moves from accounting, to history, to biology, to literature, to . . . .
  • MangiafuocoMangiafuoco Registered User Posts: 422 Member
    edited January 2015
    You are a California resident, and you seem to be interested in the UCs. Disregarding all other factors (intended major, quality of teachers, etc.) and focusing only on selectivity, I believe that this is the most accurate rankings of the UCs.
    UCB >= UCLA > UCSD > UCD >= UCI > UCSB > UCSC > UCR > UCM.
    I used scatterplots, average high school GPA, and average test scores to reach this conclusion.

Edit: Looking at your stats, I think that you probably will not be accepted by most of the UCs. Many of the schools you seem to be interested in are not found on the same US News's rankings (some are on the national universities rankings, others are on the regional universities rankings), so I do not know if any rankings will be useful to you.
  • metalmonk28metalmonk28 Registered User Posts: 226 Junior Member
    I am likely going to attend Purdue University. I am only interested in the UCs better than UCSC and several out of state schools.
    Isn't UCSB more competitive than UCI on average for admission purposes?
  • TerribleDogfishTerribleDogfish Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    No. UCI is more selective than UCSB. US News is inaccurate. Scatterplots provide evidence that UCI is more selective than UCSB.

UCI: http://i58.****.com/1255dee.png
    UCSB: http://i60.****.com/mw4j11.png
    It's also stated on the UC admissions averages part of the website that UCSB has a noticeably higher average SAT and a barely lower GPA average.
    Also most of my schools are, in fact, in the same US News ranking system. The only schools deviating from the standard national ranking are Cal Poly SLO, Santa Clara Univeristy, and UOP.
    also san jose state
    @EyeVeee I'm doing a Math major with a concentration on financial math
This discussion has been closed.