My son will apply this fall and we need some help paring down his list of colleges.
* He loves math, has been invited to take the USAMO every year of high school, has a 4.0 unweighted with 12 AP classes, 2340 on SAT (math was 800), 800's on SAT Math 2, Physics and Chem, plus a decent amount of volunteering and EC's. Goes to a rigorous, very competitive public high school.
* Probable major is Math and/or Comp Sci, he would like to do both (potentially as double major or major/minor). Has not really decided yet between Applied or Theoretical math. Not very interested in Engineering or Physics.
* He is really enjoying his research internship this summer so he definitely wants that opportunity in college. Almost certainly will continue to PhD at some point.
* Money is not a factor in the decision. Location and atmosphere also not very important, although maybe slightly leaning towards a smaller environment.
* He is an accomplished pianist and would like to keep playing in college, although not necessarily a minor.
* To me it seems like 10 schools is enough to apply to. Or is that not correct?
* I'd like to ensure that there are sufficient match/safety schools on the list just in case.
* US Citizen, no hooks of any other kind, Caucasian
Possible college list below. Any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated!!
Univ of Michigan
Univ of Chicago