Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Which is your favorite liberal arts college and WHY?

Replies to: Which is your favorite liberal arts college and WHY?

• merc81merc81 Registered User Posts: 9,114 Senior Member
    "I've heard a lot of amazing things about [Reed], but rank-wise it doesn't seem very competitive??" (#14)

By average SAT/ACT scores, read is 44th nationally. This is a case where conventional rankings can be ignored.
    edited October 2015
    Beyond that, in terms of one aspect that is identifiably different about the school, Reed has a near absence of intercollegiate sports.
  • NavalTraditionNavalTradition Registered User Posts: 1,060 Senior Member
    My sister went to Bowdoin. Was rather meh on the experience after four years. Glad you like it though.
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 35,998 Senior Member
    Reed refuses to submit info to USNWR for ranking. Hence its low ranking. Don't be fooled. But it has its own flavor, important to visit before committing.
  • whenhenwhenhen Registered User Posts: 5,638 Senior Member
    edited October 2015
    I'm a fan of LACs which attempt to mitigate the problems associated with being a small college. Places like Pomona, Oxford of Emory, Amherst, Barnard, Westminster (UT), etc are IMO better for a number of upperclassmen students than many rural, small institutions.
    usage: "[Reed] is 44th" (#16).
  • marvin100marvin100 Registered User Posts: 9,799 Senior Member
    Williams - I went there & got less stupid.
    Amherst - Total Williams clone. Lovable goofballs.
    Swarthmore - I've always respected its nerdery. A sort of mini-UChicago.
    Pomona - Everyone I've ever known who went there was very happy.
    Deep Springs - I'm dangerously obsessed.
  • marvin100marvin100 Registered User Posts: 9,799 Senior Member
    Oh, and I'm a big fan of Smith and Barnard as well.
  • happy1happy1 Forum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 23,349 Forum Champion
    Lafayette College because my daughter is there and it is everything a LAC should be -- she is getting a fantastic education with small classes all taught by professors, she is doing research work with professors, has wonderful friends, and she is involved in a variety of activities on campus.
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 35,998 Senior Member
    I'd have listed Mudd as my #1 favorite, but didn't want to trigger the "it's not really a LAC" discussion. :)
  • ScaredNJDadScaredNJDad Registered User Posts: 227 Junior Member
    edited October 2015
    The ones with a balance of academics, athletics and social life. So all the NESCAC schools, Bucknell, Colgate, Lafayette, Holy Cross from Patriot League. Dickinson and Gettysburg from Centennial and Kenyon.

The last would be St. Anselm for being known as St. C. for its strict grading policy and being a nerve center for political discussion. Where else can you see actual candidates debate, real national debates.
  • alum88alum88 Registered User Posts: 122 Junior Member
    @blourring I think you've tapped into the things that caused Niche to rank Bowdoin as the #1 LAC. Good luck in your process. :\">
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 Registered User Posts: 12,221 Senior Member
    Amherst: Top academics with access to a consortium. Area wide collegiate gender imbalance can distort social interactions.

I assume you say this because of Holyoke and Smith being part of the consortium, but Amherst is one of very few LACs that actually has more men than women.
  • par72par72 Registered User Posts: 4,208 Senior Member
    Holy Cross-mini Notre Dame. HC has DIV1 sports, nice campus(only 1 hour from Boston). Fantastic alumni network.
This discussion has been closed.