Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Which is the best HBCU?

Replies to: Which is the best HBCU?

• partyof5partyof5 Registered User Posts: 2,663 Senior Member
    edited November 2015
    @girlwitharabbit I have a child at Howard and yes there are some challenges, which is the case with ALL HBCUs. I will say if you are getting full rides my choices would be howard, spelman, NCAT, Hampton, Fiske and Tuskegee for your major. Now I will say if money is tight, Howard can become expensive. You need to either be very comfortable with yourself and your style or have extra money. It is no joke that it has been voted the second best dressed campus after NYU. also you have transportation costs home.

DC is very expensive and the parties for instance are not on campus they are always at outside venues, so partybtix are expensive, and you have transportation costs etc.
    None of this may be your thing, but I wanted you to be aware of it.

I will say Howard has a great network, and it looks GOOD on a resume. My child got an internship after her freshman year in NYC at a major network. That's really hard to do. She was offered a permanent job after graduation interning at a different company after her sophomore summer, which is pretty amazing.

Be prepared to deal with some ineptitude on the administrations part. It's just part of life there unfortunately
  • GirlwitharabbitGirlwitharabbit Registered User Posts: 73 Junior Member
    @partyof5 Thank you!
  • LakeWashingtonLakeWashington Registered User Posts: 9,308 Senior Member
    NCCU...NCCU...NCCU!!!
    @LakeWashington My top choice! I was accepted but I'm still waiting on the scholarship confirmation. :)
  • ADonkeyFlyADonkeyFly Registered User Posts: 94 Junior Member
    Considering that you're on this site you probably qualify for their Full Ride plus Laptop scholarship.
    @ADonkeyFly What do you mean? Is there some special scholarship for CC users?
    If you mean the Soaring Eagle Scholarship they have, then yes I qualify, but I haven't received any confirmation I was awarded it even though I was accepted. (not that I'm not tearing my hair out in anxiety.) But what does that have to do with CC?
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 40,169 Senior Member
    edited November 2015
    You will hear about that scholarship soon, in the upcoming week, so you are right not to be tearing your hair out :D)
    But I urge you to consider other colleges and look at value (best return on investment, not just which one is free.)
    @MYOS1634 Oh, I am. But merit based aid is done in the fall, where as need based is in the spring. So, I'm prioritizing. :) But as it happens, NCCU is my top choice AND it's free. I love the campus, I like the people and I like Durham. (and the cross-registration with Duke is hard to beat.)
  • nw2thisnw2this Registered User Posts: 2,611 Senior Member
    I am not familiar with all the schools on your list, but I am with Howard.It is nationally ranked and big name companies recruit there. Historically it was always considered the best, but according to USnews it looks like Spelman is the best now.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/hbcu
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 74,593 Senior Member
    With respect to the full ride scholarships, pay attention to the renewal criteria. If the renewal GPA is high (like 3.5), then you may be under more GPA stress (like a pre-med would face) than if it is not as high (like 3.0).
  • TurnerTTurnerT Registered User Posts: 628 Member
    Interesting these schools are separately ranked. Has this always been the case?
  • ADonkeyFlyADonkeyFly Registered User Posts: 94 Junior Member
    @Girlwitharabbit It was a tongue-in-cheek comment about how almost every person on this site is a super genius with near perfect grades and SAT scores. Sans yours truly of course. That's a really great scholarship opportunity! (Also there is a secret CC Scholarship but if I told you i'd have to kill you)
  • LakeWashingtonLakeWashington Registered User Posts: 9,308 Senior Member
    Good point by Ucbalumnus that should not be overlooked by the OP; scrutinize the scholarship criteria and read the fine print. Some colleges do conduct that kind of 'bait & switch.'

As for college rankings, as others have often said; you should largely ignore them. I once met a bright young woman who transferred from Spelman after the first semester. A friend left Fisk after Freshman year and never looked back. A relative whom had the choice of several colleges never considered Howard and today is a happy alumnus of NCA&T. The point is, not every campus is for everyone. Find you own path and comfort level.
    edited November 2015
    @LakeWashington @ucbalumnus I know and I'm not underestimating the difficulty involved. But, I'm a very determined type of girl. Plus, I need those grades anyway if I'm going to be accepted to grad school. :) I will lock myself in the library and study for 20 hours Straight if that's what it takes.
    @ADonkeyFly I knew I'd find the smart aleck on this site eventually. Greetings, brother.
    And, I always ignore rankings, that's why I asked it here: so I could hear from people who actually attended. For instance, my flagship Ohio State is very highly ranked. And I hated it when I visited. I spoke to Psych Alums, and the majority of them said that the Psych program is highly overrated. One even told me flat out to look elsewhere because I "would never be happy there."
    Post edited by Erin's Dad on
This discussion has been closed.