Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Which is the best HBCU?

13»

Replies to: Which is the best HBCU?

• LakeWashingtonLakeWashington Registered User Posts: 9,305 Senior Member
    I predict you are going to enjoy NCCU. It has a very rigorous core curriculum. You're going to work hard and you will be successful.
  • ADonkeyFlyADonkeyFly Registered User Posts: 94 Junior Member
    Did you say what you wanted to do? Because NCCU is very strong for the humanities from what I've heard. NCAT is the best HBCU in the state(I'm biased, but not necessarily wrong), and one of the best publics in the State period. But from what I've heard the humanities students aren't as focused as the science students. This is all hearsay but it's quite a bit of hearsay. (IT's a joke in my area that every black person has at least a dozen family members at or graduated from A&T)
  • GirlwitharabbitGirlwitharabbit Registered User Posts: 73 Junior Member
    @LakeWashington Thank you very much. :)
    @ADonkeyFly The best situation would be Psychology with a Minor in Social Work. I know not every school has those options though. I'm flexible on the major as long as I can get into graduate school and reach my goal of becoming a counselor to low income areas who otherwise couldn't afford mental health care.
  • juilletjuillet Super Moderator Posts: 12,649 Super Moderator
    @TurnerT - No, HBCUs haven't always been ranked separately. I think this is a new thing U.S. News started like 5 or so years ago. They're also ranked in the main rankings, as well - for instance, Spelman is somewhere in the low 60s/high 70s (or was last time I checked).

@Girlwitharabbit, while I agree that rankings are not the end-all, be-all of choosing a college...be careful with student testimonials too. If you hear the same thing over and over again from multiple people that's one thing. But depending on who you meet with and when, you may get a perspective that doesn't necessarily match what your experience would be. You may get unlucky and have a tour guide who had a rough week or a student ambassador who's actually considering transferring. Or maybe it's midterms!

If you're interested in counseling, Hampton has a counseling undergraduate major. Tuskegee actually has an undergraduate social work major, as does NCCU (which is excellent since it's your first choice) and NCA&T. NCA&T also has a child development major, which can be useful given your interests.

Honestly, if you want to do mental health counseling in low-income areas (which is such a noble goal!) then I think you should reverse your subjects - a social work major with a psychology minor, unless you go to a school without a BSW program. The reason is because the kind of counseling you want to do you can do with an MSW; if you already have a BSW, you can attend an accelerated MSW program later. Also, I think a social work minor is less common even at schools that allow you to major in it.
  • sciencekid28sciencekid28 Registered User Posts: 38 Junior Member
    THE BEST HBC IS THE SCHOOL WITH THE HIGHEST GRADUATION AND RETENTION RATES.
    STAY AWAY FROM SCHOOLS WITH A GRADUATION RATE UNDER 50% AND A RETENTION RATE UNDER 75%,. THIS RULE IS NOT ONLY GOOD FOR AN HBC, BUT IT IS GOOD FOR ANY COLLEGE OF INTEREST.
    @sciencekid28 Caps problems there, mate?
  • sciencekid28sciencekid28 Registered User Posts: 38 Junior Member
    @Girlwitharabbit . Sorry for the caps.
  • nw2thisnw2this Registered User Posts: 2,593 Senior Member
    Re: Post #34

Spelman is ranked with LACs. Howard is ranked nationally. Most of the others are ranked regionally.
    @sciencekid28 Oh, you're fine. It was good advice anyway. :)
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 73,649 Senior Member
    Actually, graduation rates of specific colleges are better evaluated in context of expected graduation rates based on incoming student academic credentials. It is no surprise the more selective schools have higher graduation rates, but some schools tend to do better or worse than others with academically similar incoming students.
  • LakeWashingtonLakeWashington Registered User Posts: 9,305 Senior Member
    Sciencekid's lab experiment went haywire when his caps key exploded.
  • OldCatOldCat Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    Beyond the usual suspects:

Tougaloo College
    Claflin University
    UMES (good honors program)
    Morgan State (business, engineering technology)

Agree on Howard...it's making a strong comeback. Recent classes have been among their strongest ever, new president seems to be making the tough choices to right the financial ship, endowment still reasonably healthy
13»
This discussion has been closed.