Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Will I be able to make it?

VesperwingVesperwing Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
I've been thinking a lot about college since ive gotten into high school. I am a freshman and worrying a lot about some of my classes. I will try to change up my studying habits and focus more on the classes I need more attention to and also seek for some help. (First time on this forum also.)
I am taking:

Honors Alg 2/Trig (+3 weight 103)
AP World History (+6 weight 100)
Spanish 2 (Didnt offer honors or ap 100)
Honors bio (+3 weight 99)
(Kicked out of engineering program because it was full)
Honors english (+3 weight 103)
Symphonic band (4 year program, 99)
Physical Ed (99)

I already know I will be taking science research and possible ap chemistry (or regular physics but I believe chemistry is very important). Since I am a math geek (asian of course) I will be taking ap bc calc next year because I already know precalc, and want to review calculus for ap statistic junior or triple science (probably not.)

My dream colleges have always been MIT, UChicago and CalTech. I am not sure that I am good enough to get into UChicago or MIT because of the way that AP World history has been currently. I am writing this the day I took the Unit

Replies to: Will I be able to make it?

• VesperwingVesperwing Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    1 test and I got about 6-7 of the 50 questions wrong because of the unexpected format of the questions. I am preparing for the essay right now which is 50% of the grade, and I am feeling quite pressured to do well on the essay (9 point grading system). I am trying to do well in all of my classes, though I will be butting more focus onto AP World history because that is what I need to up my grade in. I have had many achievements in my life mostly related to mathematics. I scored a 144 on the AMC 8 in 7th grade, 150 in 8th grade, made it to state mathcounts (and making stupid mistakes and missing the cutoff for worlds by 1 question), getting a 126 AMC 10 and 115.5 AMC 12 all in 8th grade. (Look up AMC for more information). I have many extra-circulars, chemistry club, physics club, math team, mock trial, and model UN. I play tennis in the spring aswell. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions about what I should do to become the ideal student for MIT or UChicago.
  • ammoopiammoopi Registered User Posts: 124 Junior Member
    AMC 8 goes up to 25! Extracirculars????
    Each question is worth 6, unanswered is 1.5
  • ammoopiammoopi Registered User Posts: 124 Junior Member
    from maa.org The AMC 8 is a 25-question multiple-choice contest for middle-school students in grades 8 and below who are under 14.5 years of age on the day of the contest. The material covered is the middle school mathematics curriculum. Topics include probability, estimation, percentages, spatial visualization, everyday applications and reading and interpreting graphs. The AMC 8 is for students in the sixth through eighth grade, although accelerated fourth and fifth graders can also take part. The AMC 8 is 25 questions in length and is multiple choice with no penalty for guessing. The contest takes only 40 minutes. A student's score is the number of problems correctly answered. The AMC 8 is administered in schools in November.

then divide my score by 6. Big problem huh
This discussion has been closed.