right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
STUDENT GUEST OF THE WEEK: Ethan is a burgeoning tech enthusiast who got accepted into Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Duke, Brown. This week he's answering your questions on how to best craft your application and narrow down your college search/decision process. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Concerned about how to pay for college amid COVID-19 economic changes? Join us for a webinar on Thu, Apr. 9 at 5pm ET. REGISTER NOW and let us know what questions you have and want answered.
Most of the decisions are in by now. Connect with fellow students and share support for those who didn't get the best news.

Big v small

coolcat212coolcat212 10 replies18 threads Junior Member
I was wondering what are like major differences between big and smalls schools? And if one's better (in your opinion) than the other?
3 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Big v small

• newjerseygirl98newjerseygirl98 2145 replies47 threads Senior Member
    edited October 2015
    I prefer big schools, for these reasons:

-More clubs
    -More possible friends
    -More majors
    -Variety of housing

Small colleges are popular for these reasons:

-Small classes
    -Close relationship with professors
    -Sense of community
    -Possibility to design your own major

All of these things depend on the school. My #1 school is huge (20,000), but has a close-knit community, with an average class size of only 22.
    Not every small school is "close-knit", so I recommend visiting colleges your interested.
    edited October 2015
    · Reply · Share
  • happy1happy1 23571 replies2338 threads Senior Member
    Tons of threads on CC on the difference between LACs and universities.
    · Reply · Share
  • whenhenwhenhen 5530 replies111 threads Senior Member
    @newjerseygirl98 Plenty of large schools offer the option to design a major. Some just call these customized programs multidisciplinary studies, interdisciplinary studies, or something else. In fact, IMO it's easier to design a customized field of study at a larger school owing to the larger number of courses which might tangentially relate to some theme.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity