Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Indiana Uni -Purdue Uni Fort Wayne and Mississippi State University

billy9797billy9797 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
Hi guys
Ok here's my situation
I am going to college next year and I have to choose between those two school. I got a scholarship on both so money is not a problem. My intended major is engineering
So, can everybody compare these two schools for me? Be as detailed as possible about everything that you think make up a good school please
My current inclination is Indiana Uni -Purdue Uni Fort Wayne, mainly for the reason that it belongs to the Purdue University system, which is a very good school, and its degree is the same as that offered in Purdue University. However, I still have concern over it being a satellite campus. So is this a sound reasoning? Is it a good(better) school as itself?
Thank you for reading and answering

Replies to: Indiana Uni -Purdue Uni Fort Wayne and Mississippi State University

• 50N40W50N40W Registered User Posts: 963 Member
    I think IPFW needs a 3.5 to KEEP it's top scholarship while Miss State is closer to a 3.0.
    That would fix it for me.
    Also, I wouldn't worry about the satellite nature as much as I would the quality of student life. I don't know much about MS State, but IPFW appears to be strongly aligned with commuting students.

IUPUI is a little like IPFW, and the guys I know who went to IUPUI because it was a good fit are generally a lot better adjusted than those who say (occasionally) that they got a Purdue degree. So if you want to go IPFW, go, but go because it has the major you want, because you can afford it, and because it's a good fit.
  • GoodkidsdadGoodkidsdad Registered User Posts: 274 Junior Member
    edited November 2015
    It's true that IPFW and IUPUI still pull local kids who want a good degree. And save money. IPFW just finished a new construction on some very good housing. IUPUI has great freshman housing athe tower. And just broke ground on a huge complex. I think IUPUI might have evolved recently into less of a commuter school. With more housing options and a bunch of apartments right off campus.

I am a huge fan of IPFW fan as the school feels like a community. Everyone knows each other, and to your point you can get the curriculum of the flagship school. Pretty good basketball and elite volleyball division 1 sports.

I would apply to Iupui too as I think you have another 2 weeks for priority placement. You might get full tuition there with honors too. Over 250 degrees there. Including engineering. That way you have options.
This discussion has been closed.