right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

NVM ... That Application is Just Too Annoying!

Replies to: NVM ... That Application is Just Too Annoying!

• kayrofaykayrofay 13 replies2 threadsRegistered User New Member
    i decided not to apply to northwestern because i was so sick of typing up the same stuff over and over. i also gave up with the university of rochester one since i knew nothing about the city and how i could keep their environment "ever cooler." so annoying. i applied to 13 schools so i was done with everything
    · Reply · Share
  • CDOESenior2k16CDOESenior2k16 294 replies21 threadsRegistered User Member
    I was going to apply to University of Rochester until I saw this prompt: (not exact wording) this year UofRochester had a record winter, students here who thrive in white winters wonder how can you make Rochester 'ever-cooler'?

I saw the prompt, thought "nope," then deleted it from my common app list :)
    · Reply · Share
  • usualhopefulusualhopeful 1615 replies12 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @KinglyBill Tell me that next year when you open a school's app and it says:

"At Colgate we strive to foster an inclusive community. Please discuss how your life experiences, family background, and/or culture has helped to shape you as a person. It would be especially helpful if you would also reflect on an experience which demonstrated your character and personal values."
    · Reply · Share
  • choirsandstageschoirsandstages 691 replies6 threadsRegistered User Member
    I'm pretty sure we're not talking about schools "at the top of the list." I had this experience with FSU, which was a last-minute addition. When they wanted me to create an account with some third party and enter the entire HS transcript there, I was done. Bye!
    · Reply · Share
  • ClaremontMomClaremontMom 2365 replies41 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    .I don't think I would not apply to any college I actually cared about because of their application.

I think the key phrase is "I actually cared about". I suspect most didn't drop a choice at the top of their list. Or even if it was, the fact that they dropped it anyways kind of shows they didn't care as much as they thought!
    · Reply · Share
  • MomOnALaptopMomOnALaptop 261 replies9 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Or it was equal in appeal and kids have already heard from several EAs. One of the things my S said about why he decided not to apply to several other schools on his list (which had later deadlines or no EA II) is that it's already going to be really, really hard to decide between the four that gave him good news. Adding more cool ones to weigh, when merit money was already making all things basically equal on that front, and then writing the essay for the other appealing choices can be ... well, sometimes the mind just starts to move on from applications to decisions, and at that point doing another essay can seem like going back, I guess. (Whereas my reaction was, "wow, you're getting in everywhere! How about adding more schools! Fun fun!" But it's not my app :-) )
    · Reply · Share
  • Sue22Sue22 6214 replies112 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @KinglyBill,
    Hopefully you're not calling me an attention whore! I'm not even an applicant, just a mom who's watched multiple kids go through the application processes for both secondary schools and colleges and who's witnessed how stressful the entire process can be. My kids got everything done in plenty of time, but I know life and timelines don't always work out as one plans. Hopefully you'll enjoy the process of applying to colleges.
    · Reply · Share
  • marvin100marvin100 8560 replies1248 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    it's not my app

If only more parents shared your perspective.
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsmartdancermomofsmartdancer 298 replies11 threadsRegistered User Member
    @ClaremontMom
    "I think the key phrase is "I actually cared about". I suspect most didn't drop a choice at the top of their list. Or even if it was, the fact that they dropped it anyways kind of shows they didn't care as much as they thought! "

Yes. For my d, she had a few on her list that we had not yet visited. The idea was to go ahead and fill out the app and then visit on a day when she does not have school here. They have a balance calendar at her school- so she has two week long spring break. Plus, if you combine long-distance visit with Presidents day (or some other day when there is no school), she could visit and miss minimal time from school. After realizing all the essay requirements for the 12 schools on her list, she decided to just apply to the 5 schools she had visited.
    One thing to note is that she is a high stat student and would likely qualify for scholarships or honors programs at the schools on her list. So, it was not just a matter of doing the application essay. Each school had multiple essays and applications for honors programs, "Fellowship" programs, and scholarships. So, it seemed like each of the 5 schools she applied to had 3 applications tied to it. @KinglyBill- this is something that you might want to keep in mind when you make your list.
    · Reply · Share
  • crockmomcrockmom 80 replies6 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Forget whether it was Oregon State or Univ. of Oregon that had 6 essays! That's more than Columbia. Dropped it.
    · Reply · Share
  • elysium305elysium305 87 replies5 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    I almost didn't apply to the UCs due to this reason. I was already swamped with 17 essays and was in no mood to add two more to the list :/
    However, my dad made me apply. I regret applying though. Could've used the time to make my UT Austin essays better.
    · Reply · Share
  • c0IIegeb0undc0IIegeb0und 101 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Had planned on applying to Columbia.... but dropped it the SECOND it asked me to list my favorite books. In 2016, I love watching engaging educational videos, but rarely find time to finish a whole book. I felt compelled to write a bunch of scholarly or "smart" titles that I didn't really read or enjoy, I felt like Columbia was asking me to be someone that I am not.
    · Reply · Share
  • s16s18s21s25s16s18s21s25 378 replies21 threadsRegistered User Member
    Worst for S was Georgia Tech-- other than reputation, ranking, location, and sports, why do you want to come to GT? Since the first two were his only reasons, it was reeeeeally hard coming up with anything else and he almost dropped it.
    · Reply · Share
  • porcupine98porcupine98 1593 replies27 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I actually like the GT prompt in the sense that it pushes kids to get a little more creative and specific, something I struggled to get my kid to do. But WHOLLY eliminating factors like sports as options does seem a little harsh. There should be a happy medium.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity