Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Should I Go With (cheap) UF or (expensive) Shoot Higher?

2»

Replies to: Should I Go With (cheap) UF or (expensive) Shoot Higher?

• Gator88NEGator88NE Registered User Posts: 6,398 Senior Member
    Of course you should look at a few schools other than UF. It's always good to have options, and if at the end of the day you choose UF, you'll know why it's the best choice for you.

Start running those net price calculators and looking at those "merit" schools. :)

Go Gators!
  • ZinheadZinhead Registered User Posts: 2,610 Senior Member
    I really appreciate both the tips and the link! I'm curios when you say the HYPSM etc. have good need based tuition what you mean. Does that mean if I were to theoretically get in they would work with my needs and provide a reasonable tuition?

Here is a link to Harvards Net Price Calculator.

https://college.harvard.edu/financial-aid/net-price-calculator

For a family with income of $120,000 and $200,000 in assets, tuition, room and board is $13,250. Harvard will be one of the most generous non-merit aid schools.
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri Registered User Posts: 7,863 Senior Member
    I'm thinking UF is the smartest and I should just take a gamble on a few top tens and if I get in then maybe dish out the money.

Where are you going to get the money to pay for an OOS school? Will your "upper middle class" parents pay anything out-of-pocket if you go OOS? You can only borrow ~$5500/year, so if they won't pay it will be a challenge. You need to avoid debt if you're planning on borrowing $200k for law school.

Run the Net Price Calculators and add a few schools that would be affordable with merit aid. You can add a couple reaches too, but make sure you have a couple financial safeties other than UF on your list so you have a choice in April.
  • ProudpatriotProudpatriot Registered User Posts: 1,543 Senior Member
    Do you want a large SEC school or a smaller school? UF is a fine university but it is huge. If you want something smaller try looking at Miami, which gives very good merit money to strong in state candidates. You mention CWRU. My oldest graduated from CWRU in May and got very good merit money there.

It doesn't hurt to apply out of state as long as you wind up with an acceptable, affordable option. Remember, UF is a really good school. You shouldn't discount is just because it is in state.
  • moscottmoscott Registered User Posts: 990 Member
    @nimaj21

You might want to check this out. If they sense you are using them as a fall back you probably WILL be rejected.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/news/local-education/why-cant-i-get-into-uf/nSWJW/

Another point...what exactly do you expect to gain if hypothetically you do gain admission to AN Ivy? What exactly would a degree from say Columbia net you(other than debt) than one from UF or any other reputable University?
  • Erin's DadErin's Dad Super Moderator Posts: 36,037 Super Moderator
    I'm curios when you say the HYPSM etc. have good need based tuition what you mean. Does that mean if I were to theoretically get in they would work with my needs and provide a reasonable tuition?
    Uh, no. The college gets to define what they consider need. However HYPSM are the most generous of all schools. As @Zinhead stated you can get good aid at H with income up to $200K. But those schools are also the most competitive to get into. Definitely run the Net Price Calculators for each school. Be aware that if your parents own a business your income for FA will be higher than what your taxes show. Many business deductions get discounted for FA.
  • ZinheadZinhead Registered User Posts: 2,610 Senior Member
    edited September 2016
    ^^^Retirement contributions get added back in regardless if you have a business or are employed. I firmly believe they do this to punish the Kulaks.
2»
This discussion has been closed.