Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Online College that accepts more than 30 credits by exam?

icor1031icor1031 Registered User Posts: 124 Junior Member
edited September 2016 in College Search & Selection
I'm familiar with TESU, which I believe will allow you to get your entire degree via credit by exam and work experience, but based on my searches, that school is thought of as a joke.

I'm currently enrolled in FHSU, but I can get a max of 30 credit by exam, no matter where I get them (CLEP, DSST, even transferring from TESU).

Are there any decent & reasonably priced schools that will let me do at least 60 by exam? .. I'd love to shorten my time in school.

Thanks.

Replies to: Online College that accepts more than 30 credits by exam?

• mitchklongmitchklong Registered User Posts: 813 Member
    There are lot more schools that dont cap credits than ones who do. Every school is different though.

A couple of problems you should be aware of:
    - Schools may give you credit but not exempt you from those subjects. That means you still have to take them.
    - Even if you match up your subjects, you will have a hard time getting any credit in your major
    - Schools may require more of one subject (math, science, etc) than you have taken, so you may still need classes
    - There may be writing requirements that are not likely met through exam
    - All schools have residency requirements, meaning you must take a certain number of credits at that school to get their degree
    - Credit for work experience is rare. Usually that is occurring only under an approved co-op.

• icor1031icor1031 Registered User Posts: 124 Junior Member
    I'll have 12 credits from courses, 0 from exam (at the moment). I'm pretty much starting fresh.

I just want to find one that will let me exam out of 60+.

Can you name any?

• icor1031icor1031 Registered User Posts: 124 Junior Member
    bump.
  • Argos711Argos711 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Empire State College in NY. There are a ton of colleges as the above responders mentioned. Just gota look for them/
This discussion has been closed.