Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Williams vs Northwestern

124»

Replies to: Williams vs Northwestern

• circuitridercircuitrider Registered User Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    @circuitrider Correction: I have visited NU, but I have yet to visit Williams. I'm hoping to do so in the next few weeks. Anyway, you seem to think NU is the way to go for my standards?
    Then, this whole exercise is useless.
  • MrAustereMrAustere Registered User Posts: 364 Member
    @circuitrider Then don't comment on the thread.
  • MrAustereMrAustere Registered User Posts: 364 Member
    @circuitrider I'm looking for advice, not ridicule.
  • momrathmomrath Registered User Posts: 5,943 Senior Member
    edited October 2016
    @MrAustere, A visit to Williamstown should solidify your decision one way or another. Williams' insular mountain location is a plus for some and a negative for others. You'll know when you get there.

To me, the fact that Morty Schapiro, Northwestern's president, spent a total of 20 years as Williams first in the economics department and then as president, says a lot of about the cultural synergy between the two schools. Nevertheless because their physical environments and sizes are quite different, the undergraduate experience would be different too.

I'm a parent, not a student, so I can only give you a second hand view on political activism at Williams. My impression is that although the student body, faculty and administration definitely lean left, there's a reasonable amount of leeway and respect for conservative arguments on economic, government and foreign affairs issues.

Social issues skew strongly liberal and conservative views on abortion and LGBT issues may be less acceptable. Prejudice based on gender or racial equality would definitely not be acceptable.

Environmental activism --concerning issues such energy, climate change, conservation -- is widely supported perhaps because of Williams nature-friendly location.

Many of my son's friends have chosen careers in public service -- environment, law, economic development -- reflecting their commitment to social and environmental issues. Their involvement is on a serious and professional level seeking pragmatic solutions to complex problems. For example, the head of the Nature Conservancy is a Williams graduate who moved into environmental stewardship by way of Goldman Sachs.

The Williams name is well known and respected by professional and graduate schools throughout the country. Career and graduate school advising is excellent, and because your professors know you personally, you can count on meaningful recommendations. Of course acceptance to a top tier law or business school depends mostly on your own performance, but for sure the contacts and relationships that you make at Williams last a lifetime.
124»
This discussion has been closed.