Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Universities with Honors Colleges

Andrewtm123Andrewtm123 Registered User Posts: 59 Junior Member
Hi all,

I was wondering if people could recommend me some universities that have great honors colleges within them. My stats are 3.95unweighted/4.275 weighted, 1470sat, 9ap's, top 10% of my class. I was looking into the Schreyer honors college but I know it is really competitive. I am a senior so I need the application deadline to be January 15th or later. I'm interested in pre-med so if any schools with great pre-med resources stand out, please let me know. Also, how does financial aid look at some of these public schools? I've already applied to some prestigious private schools but I want to have some less expensive options.

thanks

Replies to: Universities with Honors Colleges

• bodanglesbodangles Registered User Posts: 8,327 Senior Member
    If you have any questions about Schreyer, let me know -- junior in ChemE who started research last semester.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Registered User Posts: 82,596 Senior Member
    What is your budget? How much will parents pay?

Is that score from the new SAT??

What is your home state?

Premed? Apply to UAB....apply to their honors program, too....their general one and their Science one.
  • Andrewtm123Andrewtm123 Registered User Posts: 59 Junior Member
    home state is WA, and my parents are looking to pay about 35k or less, but we qualify for some financial aid. I've also applied for scholarships. Yes, that is my new SAT score.
  • CorinthianCorinthian Registered User Posts: 1,429 Senior Member
    Look at Barrett Honors College at ASU. The EA2 deadline is tonight (1/8) at midnight, but the regular deadline is 2/15. You can look at the NPC and it will also calculate merit aid which you should definitely be eligible for. https://asunow.asu.edu/content/asu-undergrads-find-success-entering-medical-school
    University of Arizona in Tucson also has an honors college and merit aid.
  • STEM2017STEM2017 Registered User Posts: 3,102 Senior Member
    An amazing resource for honors programs around the country...

http://publicuniversityhonors.com/sample-page/

Good luck!
    edited January 8
    <<<<
    my parents are looking to pay about 35k or less, but we qualify for some financial aid.
    <<<

??

If your parents will pay $35k per year, then why would you think that you'd qualify for any free money aid at any OOS public schools??

You'd get NO Financial aid from Penn State.

What is your FAFSA EFC?

You've missed many deadlines for merit scholarships at OOS publics.

I suggested UAB because that deadline hasn't passed.
    I ran your stats (including state of residence) through the ASU scholarship estimator and it came up with a $25,836 COA which is net of a $14K merit scholarship. It also stated "Based on your achievements you may want to consider Barrett, the Honors College." https://scholarships.asu.edu/estimator.
  • Wilson98Wilson98 Registered User Posts: 245 Junior Member
    My D was recently accepted at Barrett at ASU. If you apply by Feb. 15, you are very likely to get into Barrett with a $14K merit award as she did. That would leave about $28K to pay. You would probably have no chance at any need-based aid, but other outside scholarships could reduce the $28K amount.

I was thinking about ASU's honors college, but I just looked at the weather and given how fair skinned I am, I couldn't see myself surviving in 100degree heat during the fall and spring, any other recommendations? What are people's thoughts about Creighton?
    edited January 8
    From November-April Tempe, AZ has fabulous weather. That's why tons of Canadians and Midwesterners spend their Winter/Spring in AZ. The rest of the time you just run from one air conditioned building to another. ;) Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff has an honors college but it does not have the reputation that Barrett has. But NAU participates in WUE so you'd get discounted tuition there.
    I see what you're saying, but I will burn after about 30 minutes out in the sun. I like enjoying my time outside, running, hiking, etc. I don't want to have to stay inside air-conditioned buildings. When you say fabulous weather what does that mean to you? and are you fair skinned or not?
    edited January 8
    To me fabulous weather is highs in the 60's and 70's and virtually no humidity. And I am definitely fair skinned and wear hats and use sunblock if I'm outside for long periods of time. But how hot it gets doesn't really affect your likelihood of getting sunburned. You can get sunburned while skiing (which I've done in my younger days). It's 73 right now, which is unusually warm for January. I have a D who goes to college in SoCal (Pomona). It gets almost as hot where she is in Aug-Oct as it does here, but her dorm is not air conditioned and neither is the gym at her college, which drives her crazy. In the Phoenix metro area no one would dream of having a building that is open to the public and not air conditioned. Don't get me wrong, it's terribly hot from May-October, and especially bad in July-August. But it really is a dry heat, not sticky like Houston for example,
    edited January 8
    Creighton is fine, but not great for need-based aid, but you may get some merit.

Run the NPC on Creighton's website and tell us what it says.

Edit....What is your FAFSA EFC???

I ran the Creighton NPC putting in your stats and putting in a FAFSA EFC of $35k, this is the result

Net Price Calculator

Tuition & Required Fees 36422
    Room and Board (estimated) 10294
    Books & Supplies Allowance 1200
    Personal/Travel Allowance 2800
    Total Estimated Cost 50716

Total Estimated Scholarship & Grant 18000
    Net Price (Cost minus Free Money) 32716
    I'm not sure about my EFC, I'll have to double-check with my parents. Does anybody have experience with the University of Vermont's honors college?
    edited January 9
    Your EFC is given after you submit FAFSA. You may have seen it right after submission.

Either way, with the $18k award from Creighton, that would be all the free money you'd get.

Why aren't you considering UAB? If you did well there, you'd be a strong contender for their med school. And you'd have a tie for the state's other med school, too.

You'd get nearly a full tuition award, maybe more since they want more OOS students. There are several hospitals that surround the school and med school.

UAB Med is ranked much higher than Creighton Med
This discussion has been closed.