Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

U Michigan Vs UVA

Replies to: U Michigan Vs UVA

• AlexandreAlexandre Registered User Posts: 24,694 Senior Member
    Some Ivy League schools respond earlier. My nephew received an acceptance from Cornell in mid March last year.
  • CathJRCathJR Registered User Posts: 425 Member
    @Alexandre Then he probably got a likely letter. To be part of the Ivy League officially schools cannot released before an agreed upon date, which last year was March 31 and this year is March 30.
  • rugby1rugby1 Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
    I understand it Thursday the 30th this year.
    edited March 2017
    CathJR, it was an acceptance, and he received the acceptance letter (not likely letter), in mid March. I realize that is highly unusual since the Ivy League generally send out their decisions in large March, but I suppose their are exceptions.
  • CathJRCathJR Registered User Posts: 425 Member
    @Alexandre Maybe there are loopholes but sending out actual decisions before Ivy day is supposed to void their Ivy contract or whatever it is.
    So my post started with a choose between Michigan and Virginia, now with all the results in. He wants to see Hopkins and Georgetown.
    rugby, in the initial post you wrote that your son wanted to study business or law. I think Georgetown, Michigan and UVa are better options than JHU.

McDonough, McIntire and Ross are three top 10 BBA programs, JHU does not have an established business program.

Georgetown, Michigan and UVa have T14 Law schools of their own, and those Law schools seem to give preference to applicants from their own respective colleges. Also, all three seem to be better represented at other top law schools than JHU.
    His feeling about JHU is that its overall ranking is higher. We are going to Georgetown this week for their open house. Thank you for this feedback.
    Rankings are not accurate to that level. All of those universities are ranked within 15 spots of each other, our of thousands of universities. That makes them peers. He should focus on cost of attendance, and if that is not a concern, then on academic and social fit.
  • HRSMomHRSMom Registered User Posts: 4,643 Senior Member
    Michigan has a kick arse rugby team:)
    edited April 2017
    Note that "arse" was spelled correctly in rugby context.

But seriously, Michigan has the highest ranked law school in this group (usually regarded as a top 6 or 7 law school by Big Law), and they admit roughly 70-80 Michigan graduates annually.
    His interests does not run to rugby, like his father's did at the time. JHU is award is very generous and still have not seen GT. But like the idea of being able to jump in the car and being there in 4 hours.
  • HRSMomHRSMom Registered User Posts: 4,643 Senior Member
    @Alexandre did not know that abt the 70/80. My S is making noises about law school...
    edited April 2017
    Most years, 40-50 Michigan graduates enroll in Michigan Law School, but many more are admitted and choose to go elsewhere. Typically, 20 enroll at HYS Law schools, and another 40-50 enroll in other T-14 Law schools. The last three years, over 90% of Michigan students who apply to Law schools are accepted into at least one program. Georgetown and UVa have equally impressive placements.
  • ThankYouforHelpThankYouforHelp Registered User Posts: 1,295 Senior Member
    edited April 2017
    Michigan Law grad here. Just to clarify, Michigan Law accepts a lot of people from its undergrad, but that is because they are residents of the State of Michigan, not because they went to U of M. There is a preference for in-state students, and they always make up about 20 percent of the law school class. You don't become a resident by going to the U of M as an undergrad, so I'm not sure that an out of state student would have any admissions advantage by having gone there.

I suspect that UVa is the same.
This discussion has been closed.