Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Decision: Ohio State vs University of Alabama

Replies to: Decision: Ohio State vs University of Alabama

• SouthFloridaMom9SouthFloridaMom9 Registered User Posts: 3,446 Senior Member
    edited February 2017
    If the $44K difference would materialize out of thin air, tOSU would be the obvious choice imho. My hunch is that you are a midwestern (urban-seeking) student, wanting to stay in that zone, and tOSU has a very good engineering reputation. Normally I advocate for southern schools because I am biased toward them. But your post just rings out tOSU to me (I went to school in the midwest so I understand).

That being said, $44K is a large amount of money to many people, and if you have to go very far into debt for it - it's not worth it imho.

You could definitely be a bigger 'fish' at Alabama, but certainly not too far so. There are many talented students in engineering, CBH, etc. I would give Alabama a very close look when you go for CBH weekend (congrats on that btw). When my son was close to going there, one of his roommate prospects was from Illinois. There are many OOS students at 'Bama, and it seems like Illinois is one of the states represented well.

Wishing you luck. Keep an open mind and start framing what a $44K payment looks like after graduation (though your parents would have to co-sign it sounds like).
  • insanedreamerinsanedreamer Registered User Posts: 1,536 Senior Member
    Since you'll be graduating in engineering from a college with an excellent reputation in that field (OSU), your job prospects are good and so I wouldn't necessarily let the $45K debt be the deciding factor as it shouldn't be too difficult to pay off. It sounds like you'd prefer to go to OSU, and it is purported to be the better school for engineering, has the opportunities you want, alumni network, etc.
  • d012939d012939 Registered User Posts: 85 Junior Member
    @TempeMom @Mom2aphysicsgeek basically, my parents are paying $x per year no matter where I go, and I have to pay the rest. I am in a very fortunate situation where once I run out of money my parents are willing to temporarily cover as much of the additional costs that they can until I can pay them back so that I can avoid the interest rates and such of student loans.
    Alright this is gonna sound stupid and its too hard to explain on here but here's the simplified, general version. I know if I go to either school, I'm gonna be successful. However, going to OSU gives me the chance to "test run" my dream job (this is what's too hard to explain) with a unique club they have, and this club would increase my chances of landing my extremely-rare, almost-unrealistic dream job. I probably wont be able to get this job, but at least I could somewhat artificially live out this dream bc of OSU's club.

So the question is, is it worth it to pay $45k extra for this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to artifically live out my dream and increase my chances of doing it for real? Or do I save some money, go to Bama, still be successful, but have an even lower chance of achieving my dream?

I know this is super vague, but just philisophically what are your opinions?
    By the way, @Mom2aphysicsgeek @TempeMom @novicemom23kids I ran the numbers, and I'm looking at a monthly payment in the $300s for 10 years as an estimate. That's just based on my limited knowledge of finances and using that bankrate calculator
  • blueguy99blueguy99 Registered User Posts: 378 Member
    OSU is a bit more expensive but in the long run it's definitely worth it over Bama. 22k a year to attend a great school? Sounds awesome. Bama is decent but not up to par of OSU engineering
  • ChardoChardo Registered User Posts: 3,092 Senior Member
    ^ There are many recent Bama grads at top of the line jobs alongside OSU grads who would laugh at that assessment.
    I may have missed it, but have you visited each campus?
    As for your question about the extremely rare, almost unrealistic dream job, without knowing a lot more, the short answer is no. That's a poor reason to choose a school.
    @Chardo yeah I visited and really liked both. And what I meant about the dream job is I know how unlikely it is, but OSU has a club that would basically allow me to live out my dream during college. That's the major draw bc it's an opportunity I cant find anywhere else and won't be able to find later in life (unless by some work of God I did get my dream job).
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 41,508 Senior Member
    It really sounds like you want tOSU.
    Next step : dealing with costs.
    You get a 5.5k loan, whatever you can save from your job (if you don't have one, get one), and your parents ' contribution. Does it add up?
  • themathrunnerthemathrunner Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
    edited February 2017
    please delete this post
This discussion has been closed.