right arrow
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ehales3 is a rising sophomore at Cornell University. As a high school student, she always thought that she wanted to study in a more urban environment, but has grown to love Ithaca and all that it offers. ASK HER ANYTHING!
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

UGA or GA Tech?

novakaaai_novakaaai_ 16 replies4 threads New Member
I got into both schools. I am not sure what I want to do, but I am most likely going to pursue a career in the medical field.

What should I major in?

Would I be better off going to UGA or Ga Tech so that I can possibly move on to medical or nursing school?
10 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: UGA or GA Tech?

• novakaaai_novakaaai_ 16 replies4 threads New Member
    I got into both schools. I am not sure what I want to do, but I am most likely going to pursue a career in the medical field.

What should I major in?

Would I be better off going to UGA or Ga Tech so that I can possibly move on to medical or nursing school?
    · Reply · Share
  • ZinheadZinhead 2473 replies137 threads Senior Member
    It will be more difficult to maintain a high GPA at Georgia Tech than Georgia, so if you are intent on being pre-med, UGA is the obvious choice. Additionally, UGA now has connections to the Medical College of Georgia which might help with med school admissions.

http://catalog.gru.edu/content.php?catoid=12&navoid=1600

Otherwise, Tech is generally considered the better school and the location in midtown Atlanta is excellent for internships. Good luck!!!
    · Reply · Share
    Thanks!
    · Reply · Share
  • happy1happy1 23972 replies2404 threads Super Moderator
    I'd go with the school you prefer.
    · Reply · Share
  • sdl0625sdl0625 985 replies13 threads Member
    tend to agree with @Zinhead
    · Reply · Share
  • Jwest22Jwest22 387 replies27 threads Member
    Wrong forum.
    · Reply · Share
  • juilletjuillet 12810 replies164 threads Super Moderator
    They're both great schools - I think it would just depend on the academics you're looking for and the kind of social life and environment you want. UGA is a comprehensive university in a small college town. I've heard awesome things about Athens as a town, and you'll be getting that traditional Big U, SEC lifestyle there.

Georgia Tech is a technical university with specializations in engineering and the sciences; you can major in other fields there, but the concentration is still going to be very engineering/applied science focused. You'll be required to take more math and science as electives (I think most GT majors still have to take 2 semesters of calculus). The social life is different - but you will be in Atlanta, which can be good for internships and is likely far better for shadowing doctors and getting clinical volunteering experience. There are a LOT of hospitals in the Atlanta area. If you are interested, you could also potentially do research at the Emory medical center or the CDC, or Morehouse School of Medicine (which is pretty close to GT).

They're both great choices - it just depends on what you want.
    · Reply · Share
    ThanK you!
    · Reply · Share
  • scubadivescubadive 1091 replies3 threads Senior Member
    If you want to go to med school, UGA.
    · Reply · Share
  • ChardoChardo 2963 replies129 threads Senior Member
    This is a no brainer. Georgia Tech is one of the greatest schools in the world. It's also one of the hardest. Med school admission is all about gpa. Go to the easier school.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity