right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Should I sabotage my writing supplements for Ivy+S? Please advise.

Replies to: Should I sabotage my writing supplements for Ivy+S? Please advise.

• lensonodalensonoda 108 replies10 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 118 Junior Member
    @mamaedefamilia The UC system is a single app, yes. There are 4 short essays that I'd have to write.

@ucbalumnus No, the LACs are generally more selective. But if I get into the most selective, UCLA and UCB, I probably would've gotten into Bowdoin, Hamilton, Bates, or Colby, where I would probably get more in scholarships (because I know UCs often leave gaps in EFC).

Would this make sense? Or should I still apply to UCs?
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 32734 replies350 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 33,084 Senior Member
    edited February 2017
    Don't assume it's one size fits all. What UCLA wants and their process will differ from highly selective LACs. Do you know what Bowdoin, Bates and Colby like? And then how it compares with Hamilton?

And the LACs can gap somewhat, will expect some contribution. Run the NPCs.

This is well, well more than being in the top quartile. You have work to do.
    edited February 2017
    · Reply · Share
  • TrudiRexarTrudiRexar 38 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 39 Junior Member
    You probably don't need another reach for your list, but I am wondering why you left Dartmouth off your list.

It is an Ivy with a smallish LAC-like feel (smaller than Yale which is on your list), and might please both you and your parents (once they see it is an Ivy) if you can get in there and they give you good aid.
    · Reply · Share
  • redpoodlesredpoodles 2078 replies32 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,110 Senior Member
    edited February 2017
    Reread #24! Assume nothing!!!

I think your chances are less for getting into Bowdoin, etc. than UCLA. Please apply broadly, even to Stanford. To sabotage your own application anywhere in your situation is just dumb.

Have you ever been east or visited these schools? Do you know what they are in reality or is it their brochures and websites you're in love with?
    edited February 2017
    · Reply · Share
  • mamaedefamiliamamaedefamilia 3394 replies23 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,417 Senior Member
    @lensonoda Not necessarily. Remember, LACs are small. Typically the freshman class is 500 students or less. Entering class at Berkeley is several thousand. LACs practice holistic review which can be more idiosyncratic than large public universities. Especially if you apply to LACs that take a significant portion of their class ED, admissions can be both ultra competitive and unpredictable.

LACs can also gap.

I would apply broadly within the California system to maximize your options. Every year there are a few threads written by students who had brilliant stats and ECs and got shut out of their top choices. While the odds are likely in your favor, don't be one of these unlucky students!
    · Reply · Share
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids 83932 replies1004 discussionsForum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 84,936 Forum Champion
    Keep some UCs on your list!!! And you need more UC safeties, since NONE of your listed safeties are really safeties for anyone!

Add in UCR, UCM, and UCSC.

Also...your EFC may be 0 according to FAFSA, but it may not be at the CSS Profile schools. Do your parents own a business? Do they own any property? Do they have home equity?
    · Reply · Share
  • smasonsmason 3 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Pomona or Claremont McKenna could be a compromise--LACs that rank very highly, are close to home, and have no-loan policies. Be warned, though, that while their acceptance rates are higher than Stanford's, the number of new admits is much smaller. (My son got into Stanford, but rejected by both Pomona and CMC.)
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 76562 replies665 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 77,227 Senior Member
    edited February 2017
    lensonoda wrote:
    No, the LACs are generally more selective. But if I get into the most selective, UCLA and UCB, I probably would've gotten into Bowdoin, Hamilton, Bates, or Colby, where I would probably get more in scholarships (because I know UCs often leave gaps in EFC).

Would this make sense? Or should I still apply to UCs?

If there are any UCs (or CSUs) that you would prefer over SFSU and are less selective than the LACs, then it would be best to apply to them, in case you do not get into any of the LACs.

Use the net price calculator on each college's web site to estimate financial aid.
    edited February 2017
    · Reply · Share
  • merc81merc81 10017 replies148 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 10,165 Senior Member
    With respect to what you truly seem to want out of your college experience, this reflection from then candidate, now Massachusetts governor, Charlie Baker seems apposite. When asked to take the Proust Questionnaire by the Boston Globe, he responded as follows:

Q: What is your greatest regret?

A: Not going to Hamilton College. I never really felt comfortable at Harvard.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2014/10/15/charlie-baker-takes-proust-questionnaire/p2B2GsYFIUnYnVLsZCiX3I/story.html
    · Reply · Share
  • lensonodalensonoda 108 replies10 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 118 Junior Member
    I don't think that my parents could feasibly contribute much to my college expenses- our family income is a little less than 13k. That's my reasoning for hoping for a full ride. I will definitely get at least one job in college full-ride or not, as my father is almost 70 and working a waiting job that is extremely detrimental to his health. I was planning to send my parents most of my salary, but if I need to use it to pay tuition, then that's what will happen.

@redpoodles
    I have a general idea of the campus vibe, yes. My parents don't believe in campus visits (and even if they did, we wouldn't have the money to visit). I've read countless Niche and Unigo reviews / student-written articles from the college newspapers for every school on my list, and taken online tours. I've looked over the course offerings and requirements for each school. My friend has visited Bowdoin, Bates, and Colby, and reported back about his thoughts / sent pictures of the campuses. I know that the culture differs from school to school (Bowdoin tour guides give off an elitist vibe but the general population tends to be friendlier. Hamilton has studious students and talented writers, while heavier on drinking culture. Also their boys tend to have messier dorm rooms. Bates may have lower stats and endowment but it produces more artsy, relaxed, and generally happier students. Colby students love the outdoors and seem preppier than those at Bates). Though some things about every school turn me off, I'm willing to overlook them because of the positives. Is there anything else of importance that I've overlooked and should research?

@mamaedefamilia @mom2collegekids @ucbalumnus You're right. If schools will gap then I really can't afford to be picky. I will be talking to my parents about applying to UCs then. My parents do not own anything besides the furniture and assorted things in our house (which we've been renting for the ), so my EFC will be 0 pretty much everywhere.

@hop I have looked at Questbridge, and it does seem to be a great option for me especially because I can apply early to multiple colleges. I have already started my College Prep Scholar application, which will be an introduction and almost gateway to the Questbridge program that will open up in the next few months.

@TrudiRexar I honestly haven't looked into Dartmouth much; I've been avoiding schools with a 10% acceptance rate. I think the people are really outdoorsy though? I love Yale's housing system and Brown's artsy culture, so that's why those are on my list. My mom "heavily encouraged" me to apply to Princeton. (but hey, I'm not a partier and it has free laundry so why not?)

@smason I did not much want to stay in California, but I liked the Claremont schools when I looked at them so maybe I'll put them back on the list. Thanks for the suggestion!

@merc81 Ah, that's really a shame. I'll think about fit more when I receive acceptance/rejection letters and pray I can be happy at wherever I end up. Thanks for the interesting article!
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 32734 replies350 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 33,084 Senior Member
    edited February 2017
    ^:)^ pretty darned good quick-read, from afar. The very short version, of course. (Keep reading on the colleges' own sites, though, to get an idea of more. Look at the Bonner Leader program at Bates.) Now start running NPCs. The Net Price Calculator, found on each college's web site. If you need help translating results, adults here can help. Then you can lay it all out and get a picture. You'll also need to face the fact that all 4 LACs can be a bit difficult to get to.

Bad gapping refers to schools that acknowledge your need but give you much less than needed, maybe expect you to take Parent Loans, etc. In your case, you may find the 'family' and 'student' contributions come a lot closer to what you can earn over the summer, through work study, and the student Direct Loan. But you need to run those NPCs.

And remember something. You started, wondering if you should throw the Stanford app. I still hold that you have time to modify your parents' views. But the main task is now to understand enough to create an app and the supps that increase your shot at those LACs. Some savvy helps. (Eg, it's not "600 hours" of service that matters as much as what it was.) And to find the right safeties that meet your preferences or more of them.

edited February 2017
    · Reply · Share
  • redpoodlesredpoodles 2078 replies32 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,110 Senior Member
    Yes, it would be wise to add LAC's that are match/safety schools rather than match/reach for you. There are a lot of gems. Dickinson. Rhodes. Denison, Univ. of Richmond, Lafayette, Skidmore, Trinity Connecticut College, St. Lawrence,.... there are many out there, poke around.
    · Reply · Share
  • ThankYouforHelpThankYouforHelp 1294 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,295 Senior Member
    Family income of 13K? The top national universities and LACs will all be completely free to you if you can gain admittance. They almost assuredly will be far, far cheaper than the UCs.

You have Questbridge written all over you. Don't miss your chance to take advantage of it.
    · Reply · Share
  • momcincomomcinco 1047 replies23 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,070 Senior Member
    Another vote for Questbridge. Even if you aren't accepted, you will be glad to have some essays, your unofficial transcript, rec's and finances ready. And it will help you form strategies.

I also can't emphasize enough the importance of net price calc's (already mentioned). A 0 EFC means nothing until you see actual numbers from schools. Our EFC was 0 and the differences in family contributions/student expectations/loans could vary up to $10,000 per year. Also some schools ask about private school tuition and home equity, and others do not. So definitely run them on each and every school.

I hope you will keep coming back to this website, as there is a wealth of info from experienced posters. Our three kids are each on different academic/vocational paths and each one has received excellent advice.
    · Reply · Share
    @lookingforward Wow, the Bonner Leader program actually sounds like something I'd participate in if accepted! Thank you so much for the link!

I'll start comparing net prices too. Yes, all the admitted students are very on top of their game, and I don't have much competition at my school so I probably don't know what I'm in for. I talked to my parents again about safeties and my mom seems okay with me applying to some more safeties now. Thank you!

@redpoodles My main concern with safeties was financial aid, but I realize that the NPCs will be of use (and private schools will probably be cheaper than UCs anyway..) Thank you for the list, I'll check them out!

@ThankYouforHelp @momcinco I will definitely apply for Questbridge! Having an application ready and a few more months to edit does sound really appealing. I have never gone to private school and my parents do not own our home or anything of significant value (besides an upright piano), so I don't think those will factor in. I will check the calculators to make sure though.

And yes! I've already gotten so much useful advice and I'm really grateful for everyone who's pitched in with ideas and resources. Thank you all!
    · Reply · Share
    edited March 2017
    Bonner can function as work study, at Bates. A growing number of colleges have it. The sister program is Bonner Scholars, which also includes some money. Look at both, schools that have them (in case some are also generous with need base aid.) When you examine your vol hours, if it wasn't challenging or with community impact, you can fine tune now.

And, regardless of your hs, you can learn enough about a college and its values, to present a savvy application.
    edited March 2017
    · Reply · Share
    @lookingforward One of my worries was that an LAC wouldn't have as many open work-study positions so I'm glad that this is available! My 600+ hours were all from a single organization (Chinese School in low-income community, working with kids of immigrants) and I'm thinking about going into public policy, education, and/or communications, so I will definitely be playing that up in my application.

I'm not sure if club work counts as community service as I never logged hours, but I led a committee in student council in freshman year, and was class president in the sophomore/junior year. In addition, I founded a Webcomic Club this year for artists and writers, and we are currently creating a collection of fairy tale parodies that we hope to publish and sell to a comic store within the next few months. Do you have any suggestions for how I can further challenge myself with community impact and such?

Alright! I'll pay more attention to unique and defining characteristics of the schools (wouldn't want to be that one person who writes a supplement about the weather haha). Thank you for your encouragement!
    · Reply · Share
    I pm'd you.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity