right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Should I sabotage my writing supplements for Ivy+S? Please advise.

124»

Replies to: Should I sabotage my writing supplements for Ivy+S? Please advise.

• greenteen17greenteen17 510 replies90 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 600 Member
    If your parents are into prestige and USNWR rankings, why don't you show them the UNSWR top LAC list. Maybe they'll go for a few elite LAC's like Williams.
    · Reply · Share
  • lensonodalensonoda 108 replies10 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 118 Junior Member
    @IsaacTheFuture I can relate to that so, so much. I tell them that there are many schools they haven't heard of and just because a school isn't known by the people in our (low-income) community (who are just as, if not more, ignorant), does not mean that it is of lower level. When I tell them that employers in that area / other people of academia will definitely know those schools, they just shake their heads and say I'm disrespecting them.

Sometimes I think they want me to apply just so they can brag to their friends, because I can't logically decipher why else they wouldn't want me to go to a prestigious school that offers similar opportunities in addition to a much better fit.

I browsed through your threads and am pretty sure you got into Northwestern through Questbridge. Did that end up working out for you? How is your relationship with your parents now?
    · Reply · Share
  • lensonodalensonoda 108 replies10 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 118 Junior Member
    @greenteen17 That's a good idea. I did show them, and they are now a bit happier with Bowdoin and Hamilton, but also concerned with the fact that I'm applying to Colby and Bates (apparently I'm way too good for them???...)
    · Reply · Share
  • merc81merc81 10001 replies148 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 10,149 Senior Member
    At least your parents appear to be becoming more receptive to a wider array of sources @lensonoda.
    · Reply · Share
  • IsaacTheFutureIsaacTheFuture 169 replies39 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 208 Junior Member
    @lensonoda They've gotten over it. It took them nearly a week, but sooner or later they had to come to realize that it is my education, not there's.

Also, I feel the same way when it comes to why my parents wanted me to go to HYPSM; it was definitely a touch of ignorance in regard to other schools, but also that they simply wanted to brag to others to say that "My son is going to Yale" or whatever. Show your parents how prestigious and top level the schools that you want to apply to are, and simply explain to them why you want to go there. I'm sure that eventually they'll come to understand.
    · Reply · Share
    @IsaacTheFuture I'm really happy for you.

Alright! I've kept pushing the idea that students with better stats than me have gotten rejected and they seem to be much more okay with the LACs. Still trying to keep me in California though.. not sure what I'll do about that but we'll see :)
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity