Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Ivy League vs Northwestern

Replies to: Ivy League vs Northwestern

• IWannaHelpIWannaHelp Registered User Posts: 387 Member
    edited February 2017
    What field? What are you looking for? NU is on par with quite a few Ivies and is even better in some areas. You need to give more details.
  • marvin100marvin100 Registered User Posts: 9,804 Senior Member
    How do you have offers from all these schools already? That doesn't seem realistic--are you speculating or asking about a hoped-for future dilemma?
  • ThankYouforHelpThankYouforHelp Registered User Posts: 1,295 Senior Member
    edited February 2017
    I question your story, or at least think there must be more to it.

However, assuming it is true, and if the question is whether to choose Northwestern for free or several of the mid tier Ivies for 5k per year, I would not let money be the deciding factor. That amount of money/debt is too small to matter. I would go to the one you like the best, or that has the best program for whatever it is you want to study.

There really is zero practical difference between Northwestern, Penn,and Dartmouth for purposes of prestige/opportunities, and the difference with Columbia is small at best. But the atmosphere of Columbia or Dartmouth will be very different than Northwestern (Penn will be the closest in atmosphere to Northwestern).

If you were talking HYP, my advice might be different. Or maybe not. I could see turning down HYP for Northwestern if I wanted to study journalism, music or theater.

Anyhow, if your story is true, go where you feel the best fit.
  • PurpleTitanPurpleTitan Registered User Posts: 12,655 Senior Member
    @ThankYouforHelp: If the details given by the OP are correct, the $5K is only for tuition and room & board isn't covered at the Ivies. $20K a year may be a lot of money depending on circumstances.

In any case, is this a hypothetical? What offers do you have and how?
    edited February 2017
    In any case, my take is that the Ivy League is a sports league. The colleges you are considering are pretty different in character. Unless you are an athlete, what sports league your school belongs to just won't be a big determinant in your life, but fit does matter. In terms of alumni achievements and opportunities, Northwestern is on par with the Ivies you listed (and they are with each other as well):
    http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-search-selection/1893105-ivy-equivalents-ranking-based-on-alumni-outcomes-take-2-1-p1.html
  • moscottmoscott Registered User Posts: 998 Member
    @PurpleTitan You and a lot of others try to quantify the Ivy league as just a sports league...which is an injustice. The reason people say they are looking at Ivy league schools and Stanford, MIT etc... are simply incorporating all 8 schools into 1 category(which is all top 15) as top colleges. Instead of listing each college by name one by one, it is much more efficient to simply say Ivy league schools. Is the Ivy league a sports league....absolutely...but no other sports league(or non) encompasses every school into the top 15 academically. Thus when people are saying they are looking into Ivy league schools they simply mean top 15 colleges. Now I realize each Ivy school is unique and different but there is a reason people use the term.
  • JpgranierJpgranier Registered User Posts: 1,212 Senior Member
    @moscott that may be true, but not in the OPs case. He's strictly differentiating Northwestern (a top 15 school) from the 8 physical Ivy League schools.
    edited February 2017
    @moscott: @Jpgranier covered it, and in any case, if you want to refer to the top 16 or so, it's more accurate to use the term "Ivies/equivalents" or"Ivies+".

Stanford, MIT, UChicago, Northwestern, Duke, Rice, Georgetown, and Caltech aren't any lesser merely because they don't all play in the same sports league, and it's inaccurate to refer to them all as Ivies.
    The title says Ivy league vs Northwestern....people then try to say "well Ivy league is just a sports league". So what exactly do you mean Ivy league is a sports league when you know full well what they mean?
    edited February 2017
    @moscott: That the Ivy League is just a sports league.

What do you think they meant?

What point are you trying to make?
    So not correct..it isn't simply a sports league obviously. You are minimizing the term. I told you what they mean....8 colleges ranked in the top 15 academically. My point is when kids come on and use the term apply to Ivy schools they are simply encompassing top schools into 1 word without listing them one by one. Then people respond with...oh the Ivy league is just a sports league knowing the student isn't looking at them in regards to sports.
    edited February 2017
    @moscott Almost everyone knows that Ivy League is practically synonymous for elite school.

@PurpleTitan Ivy League also refers to a sports league.

Y'all are both right.
    My point is when kids come on and use the term apply to Ivy schools they are simply encompassing top schools into 1 word without listing them one by one.

I don't see what you're arguing. Are you arguing that Northwestern isn't a top school? Why did the OP not say in his title "Ivy League vs Ivy League" when talking about Northwestern?
    @swagnation234 I take back my previous post saying NU is a no brainer because I thought it was 20k debt per year.

5k/yr is completely manageable, and you shouldn't let that amount hold you back from going to the school you like the most. For us to help you, we need some more info.

1. What is your intended major?
    2. Have you actually been accepted to these schools? I'm not sure if admissions decisions for RD applicants are even out yet...
    3. Which school do YOU like the most? Don't let the 20k total in loans scare you off.
    4. How did you receive a full ride to NU but not the Ivy League schools you mentioned? Was this all needs-based aid?
    Yes the Ivy league is a sports league...so is the ACC, SEC etc. When kids go on CC and use the term Ivy league schools they are referring to them as top academic institutions not sports teams. So instead of listing every college one by one the term Ivy league covers all 8. They will also add Stanford, MIT etc...many times as well but since they aren't in the Ivy you have to list them by name. Of course Northwestern is a top school. The original title is Ivy vs Northwestern which is much more efficient than saying Dartmouth, Brown, UPENN, Cornell, Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Columbia vs Northwestern.
  • AlexandreAlexandre Registered User Posts: 24,693 Senior Member
    edited February 2017
    Northwestern, Cornell and Penn are peers. Brown, Dartmouth are not better, but they are different. If admitted into all 5 of those amazing universities, go for the school that you can most easily afford, and if cost of attendance is not a concern, go for fit. None of those schools has more to offer than any of the others, although they will each have their own unique programs and special resources.
    Post edited by Alexandre on
This discussion has been closed.