Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
The Forums will be unavailable Tuesday, June 25 starting at 9 am ET as we prepare for a major design update!

Ivy League vs Northwestern

Replies to: Ivy League vs Northwestern

• merc81merc81 Registered User Posts: 10,052 Senior Member
    edited February 2017
    moscott wrote:
    I told you what they mean....8 colleges ranked in the top 15 academically.
    They'd seem to be in the ~top 28:

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-50-smartest-colleges-in-america-2016-10

• Sam-I-AmSam-I-Am Registered User Posts: 609 Member
    @swagnation234. $5,000 per year is not enough of a difference to base your decision on. Figure out where you prefer to study, Evanston/Chicago, NYC, New Hampshire or Philadelphia. And what you want to study. Which school has academic strength in the area you want to study and which overall atmosphere you prefer. Since you asked for advice, I'll tell you that I personally would prefer Evanston/Chicago over the other cities. Evanston and the Northwestern campus are beautiful and an easy, short train ride via CTA or Metra to Chicago. But I also love Hanover, NH and Dartmouth, which is rural so has a different feel. I would choose between those two. If you are into USNWR rankings and you can stand NYC (I can't), then choose Columbia if they have a strength in the area you want to study. I would not consider UPenn unless you were in love with Phili. It is overrated and I'd choose Northwestern or Dartmouth over it by a large margin. Congratulations and good luck making your decision!
  • PurpleTitanPurpleTitan Registered User Posts: 12,685 Senior Member
    @moscott, if you read through the thread, you would have seen that he meant specific Ivies. Considering that almost everyone differentiates between the Ivies (as seen on this thread) and that the main difference between the Ivies and Northwestern are the sports leagues they belong to (and the region they are in), then
    1. Yes, in this case, the Ivies are just a sports league.
    2. Yes, it would have made more sense for the OP to title it "Northwestern vs. UPenn/Dartmouth/Columbia".
  • moscottmoscott Registered User Posts: 998 Member
    @merc81 Ugh....seriously. USNWR.
    @PurpleTitan

There is NOTHING in this entire thread having to do with sports or sport conferences. It's a lazy way to describe what kids are intending as top academic schools encompassed in one word(Ivy) where you and others espouse oh it's simply a sports league. Nowhere near the context of the conversation unless in the athletic recruits forum.
    To put it in simple terms, IF one of the Ivy schools weren't in the top 100 academically you wouldn't see kids using the universal term as Ivy league in regards to top schools. Same for why they don't for any other league be it Pac 12 or Patriot league. In those cases they specifically label Stanford, UCL, USC or William & Mary by name.
  • Penn95Penn95 Registered User Posts: 2,361 Senior Member
    edited February 2017
    @PurpleTitan What alumni achievements are you looking at? Also HYP was still king in the 80s. Stanford was almost on the same league, but HYP still had the edge. So you are saying revealed preference has no significance at all? it is not like HS kids make a random decision on their own. They and their parents weigh their options based on the information available. Also are you saying that none of the many rankings out there matter?

• ZinheadZinhead Registered User Posts: 2,610 Senior Member
    edited February 2017
    Some thoughts:

1 - The OP clearly said that the question was hypothetical. People should stop questioning the OP for that.

2 - Take a good look as to where you want to live in the future. There was a survey recently of Ivy graduates that showed that 75 percent of them lived in the MidAtlantic or Northeast. At the same time, most NU grads live in the midwest.

3 - Academically, NU is on par with the "middle" Ivy's of Penn and Columbia. All of these schools have excellent reputations and placement.

4 - Our HS sends alot of kids to NU, and the more time I spend talking to their parents, the more impressed I am with the school. All of these kids had the opportunity to attend a flagship Big 10 school for less money, but the parents believed that NU, despite the higher tuition, offered a significant ROI. Most of the students from our HS who attend NU are very serious, pre-professional students who have a firm idea of what they want to do in their four years on campus and where they want to be when they graduate. In comparison, some kids from our HS who chase an Ivy acceptance seem to be chasing prestige or external validation of their academic success rather than looking at fit or professional goals.

edited February 2017
    @Penn95: I do believe that many rankings, while OK in general terms, don't tell you much about schools that are within 10 or so places of each other. Also, I look at PhD rates, prestigious scholarships earned, "American leaders", and placement in to top professional schools. Penn does very well in the last 2 categories. Not at HYPSM levels in the first 2.

@moscott: The OP was comparing NU with Ivies. What, besides the sports conference (and region) differentiates the two (bearing in mind that differences between different Ivies are often greater)?
    If the OP was using "Ivy" to mean "elite private" (as you seem to think he is) instead of a sports conference, then does not comparing NU to "Ivies" make zero sense, considering that NU is also an elite private? Does that then not lead one to conclude that he was referring to the Ivy League sports conference?
  • fbsdreamsfbsdreams Registered User Posts: 490 Member
    edited February 2017
    @swagnation234 Recruited Athlete ?

Answer would really depend on your prospective major. Example : If economics I would pick Northwestern over majority of the Ivy's.

So many variables, have you been accepted at these schools ? Location should come into play as well.

Edit: Would you pay $20k or $5k for Penn?
  • IsaacTheFutureIsaacTheFuture Registered User Posts: 208 Junior Member
    So going to school for free at one of the world's best colleges vs having to pay thousands at a school that is marginally, if at all, better?

This isn't even a question.

OF COURSE, if you REALLY like the Ivy League school better, talk with your parents. However, for me this decision would be a no brainer.
  • IsaacTheFutureIsaacTheFuture Registered User Posts: 208 Junior Member
    yeah at @PurpleTitan , This smells a little fishy...
  • MastadonMastadon Registered User Posts: 1,777 Senior Member
    It's a lazy way to describe what kids are intending as top academic schools encompassed in one word(Ivy)

Are you suggesting that kids who are interested in "Ivy League" schools tend to be lazy ?????
    I sometimes wonder how well those posters who use "Ivy" as a term for Ivy+ or elite privates do in admissions to Ivy+ schools compared to people who are accurate in their usage (as the OP was).
  • Much2learnMuch2learn Registered User Posts: 4,774 Senior Member
    @swagnation234

Among those 4 schools, the significant majority of students are going to choose Penn or Columbia (spit about 50%/50%). A few will choose Dartmouth and only occasionally will someone choose Northwestern.

The choice between Columbia and Penn may depend on a student's preference for Columbia's impressive, but rigid, core curriculum vs. Penn's much more flexible, customizable curriculum. Dartmouth is a lot smaller and in a remote area no where near a major city, and beer pong is required.

The typical Northwestern student has academics and test scores that are comparable to the other three schools, but is often missing that something extra that would be needed for admission to the Ivies.
This discussion has been closed.