Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Penn State vs Uni of Arizona in Geoscience Program

AimanZAimanZ Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
Hi, i'm currently in dilemma to choose the best university for my course, can someone help me? :)>-

Replies to: Penn State vs Uni of Arizona in Geoscience Program

• bodanglesbodangles Registered User Posts: 9,185 Senior Member
    Budget? What do you want in a college?
  • AimanZAimanZ Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    which one has the best programme? the course work, field trip, experience etc which are valuable for my studies
  • philbegasphilbegas Registered User Posts: 2,997 Senior Member
    You'd have better luck trying to get answers on the forums that are specific for the school but just based on landscape I feel like U of A would have better field trips and hands on experience?
  • CorbettCorbett Registered User Posts: 3,438 Senior Member
    edited March 2017
    They are both respected state schools. Either one can provide a good bachelor's degree in geology.

Based on College Navigator data for degrees issued in 2014-15, Penn State appears to have a much larger geosciences program:
    - Penn State: 188 bachelor's, 15 master's, 12 doctorates
    - Arizona: 37 bachelor's, 3 master's, 9 doctorates

So if you are interested in a particular specialty, you might be more likely to find it at Penn State. However, Arizona might be better if you want to work in the western US.

You might want to consider whether you would rather spend 4 years in Tucson or Happy Valley. They are very different environments.
This discussion has been closed.