Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Can't decide which college to attend-any advice would be very much appreciated!

2»

Replies to: Can't decide which college to attend-any advice would be very much appreciated!

• philbegasphilbegas Registered User Posts: 2,916 Senior Member
    Do you have plans for grad school?

Who is going to be paying back the loans? You or your parents or both?
  • evguy307evguy307 Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    Yes, I do plan on going to grad school (MBA program).
    My parents and I would split the loans half and half
  • collegemom3717collegemom3717 Registered User Posts: 4,243 Senior Member
    edited March 21
    Loans for grad school or undergrad? For undergrad you can only get $5500/year yourself. Your parents would have to co-sign for any additional loans.

Hand on heart, you really don't want to start adult life with loans when you have such good options that don't require loans. If you want to do an MBA, even more reason not to get that debt. A 1-year MBA at ND costs $100,000. Add that debt on to your student debt (which you will still have most of if you go on to b-school 2-4 years after finishing undergrad).

Of course you 'feel' that at ND you would have better connections- and better again at Stanford. But the question is: are they $80K better? Read another posters opinion here, in which the poster describes the benefits s/he has reaped from being a star student. The salient bit:
    I wrote this to show you all that it's entirely possible to be successful at a regular state college--and maybe even more successful than you would be at an elite school. I'm debt-free, my 4.0 is fully intact, and I'm okay with the fact that I don't go to an elite school. I don't need the satisfaction of telling someone that I attend somewhere like Vanderbilt or Rice because my accomplishments speak for themselves. An elite school is not going to make you a smarter, more successful person--that's on you, and you can find success anywhere if you try hard enough.

So, for those of you who can't afford your dream schools, don't fret! If you were smart enough to get accepted, then you're smart enough to succeed on your own.
  • tk21769tk21769 Registered User Posts: 9,736 Senior Member
    It sounds like your only affordable choices are (and will remain) TCU and CU-Boulder.
    If the $15K from ND was need-based, then you might get a bit more from Stanford/Yale/Duke (if you get in) but probably not enough to make them affordable. Besides, none of those schools offer business majors.

About half of TCU's students are Texans; about half of CU students are Coloradans.
    In which state would you rather build social and business ties?
    Do cultural differences between the two schools (or settings) matter to you?

• letsshareletsshare Registered User Posts: 147 Junior Member
    @collegemom3717 , thank you that was helpful and makes a great point. My son is deciding between schools now, but are still waiting on FA for all except one.
2»